Bergen City, NorwayEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Norway > Bergen City
Norway > Bergen/City/County (was a county from 1831 to 1972)
Bergen City was once a county, but the city is now part of Hordaland County. Bergen is the second-largest city in Norway, a municipality, and a former county, in the county of Hordaland.
The Norwegian city of Bergen was separated from Hordaland as a county of its own in 1831. It was established as a municipality January 1, 1838. The rural municipality of Bergen landdistrikt was merged with Bergen January 1, 1877. The rural municipality of Årstad was merged with Bergen July 1, 1915. The rural municipalities of Arna, Fana, Laksevåg and Åsane were merged with Bergen January 1, 1972. The city lost its status as a separate county the same date. Bergen was Norway's biggest city until the 1830s, when it was passed by Oslo.
History and Tidbits
The city of Bergen is located at the west coast of Norway. Bergen Municipal is one of the 33 municipals in Hordaland county. It has for almost one thousand years been the destination of travellers from all around the world. Bergen is the kingdom's second largest city, with over 250.000 inhabitants and situated on the west coast of Norway. The year of the foundation is estimated to be1070.
Familiy History Resources
Norwegian American Bygdelagenes Fellesraad
Parishes and congregations in Bergen City
Censuses for Bergen available online at Digitalarkivet (Digital Archives) of Norway.
- Census of citizens in Bergen 9 May 1714 (database version)
- 1714 Census for Bergen
- 1801 Census for 1301 Bergen
- 1815 Census for Bergen
- 1865 Census for 1301 Bergen
- 1875 Census for Bergen
- 1875 Census: Ships from Bergen sailing abroad
- 1885 Census for Bergen
- 1891 Census for Bergen
- 1900 Census for 1301 Bergen
- 1910 Census for Bergen
Censuses for Bergen available at the Family History Library.
- 1645: Manntall over Bergens Bys koppskatt for 1645. A census and poll tax of all the male persons in Bergen City, Bergen, Norway in 1645. Available at theFamily History Library.
- 1801: Folketellingen den 1ste februar 1801. This is a printed edition of the 1801 census for Bergen city and Hordaland county. Each fiche has an index of the farm names, given names, and surnames. There is also a separate index by given name and by surname for the whole county. This census gives the persons name, position in the household, age, marital status, and occupation. Available at the Family History Library Årstad parish see Family History Library Bergen, Bergen see Family History Library; Bergen city and County see Family History Library Hordaland County and Bergen city see Family History Library Bergen city and Hordaland county see Family History Library .
- 1815: Bergen by folketelling, 1815 (Bergen). This 1815 census for Bergen City, Norway and lists the persons name, and occupation. Available on microfilm at the Family History Library.
- 1865: Folketellingen den 31te desember 1865.. The 1865 is available on microfilm at the Family History Library. This census contains the persons name, residence, status in the family, occupation, sex, marital status, place of birth, age, religion if not a member of the state church, and other miscellaneous information. Each book usually contains one clerical district (prestegjeld). In some books there are two clerical districts recorded. The parishes and school districts in each clerical district are listed at the beginning of each book.
- 1875: Folketellingen for kongeriket Norge den 31te desember 1875. The 1875 census is available on microfilm at theFamily History Library. This 1875 census contains the persons name, whether resident or temporary resident, those absent from the parish and their location at the time of the census, occupation, sex, marital status, year of birth, place of birth, religion if not a member of the state church, and other miscellaneous information.
- 1891: Folketelling for kongeriget Norge den 1ste januar, 1891. The 1891 census is available on microfiche at the Family History Library. The 1891 census for Bergen, Bergen and Troms county, Norway. This census contains the persones navn, sex, postion in the family marital status, when born, place of birth, religion if not member of the state church, occupation, and other miscellaneous information. See also other microfiche at the Family History Library
- 1900: Folketellingen for Norge den 3dje desember 1900. The 1900 census is available on microfilm at theFamily History Library. This census contain the persons name, sex, whether resident or temporary resident, those absent from the parish and their location at the time of the census, position in the family, marital status, occupation, year of birth, place of birth, citizenship, religion, and other miscellaneous information.
- 1910: Folketellingen for Norge den 1ste desember 1910. The 1910 census forBergen city is available online Digital Archives as well as at the Norwegian Historical Data Centre.
The Norwegian Church (Den Norske Kirke) kept the vital statistics of the population. See Church Records for the contents and in-depth descriptions of the records. The links to the records available at the Family History Library are found in the individual parish under the Parishes and congregations in Bergen City Section.
The National Archival Services of Norway maintains a website, Digitalarkivet.uib.no, in which you can search in transcribed source material for free. Images of the original church books have also been placed there. The Digitised Parish Registers interface can be used in English, Norwegian (Bokmål), Norwegian (Nynorsk) or Samisk (Davvisámegiella). However, the records are written in Norwegian.
Later church records which not have been microfilmed by the Family History Library can be found at Digitalarkivet.
- Emigrantar over Bergen frå sørlandet
- Emigrantar fra Bergen 1874-1930
- Ship's lists Bergen-Quebec 1865-1873
- Ship's lists Bergen-New York 1871-1873
- 1680-1720 Clerical probate records for Bergen diocese which includes these districts and counties: Sunnhordland, Nordhordland, and Hardanger in Hordaland county; Bergen City; Sogn, Sunnfjord, and Nordfjord in Sogn og Fjordane county; and Sunnmøre in Møre og Romsdal county.
- 1716-1870 Probate records for Bergen city judicial district in Bergen city. The probate records usually contain the date of the probate, names of the deceased, names of the heirs, guardians and trustees, inventory lists, land and holdings, and other miscellaneous information.
Bergen city judicial district digitised probate records online at Digitalarkivet.
Family History Resources
Digitalarkivet Bergen City, Norway Census 1801
Legal Procedure, Sentence Protocols
Military register of boats 1806
Bergen-New York ships passenger lists 1871-1873 in Norwegian (3608 listings)
Passports issued for travel to America from Bergen 1842-1860 (1123 listings)
Emigrants from Bergen 1874-1930 (110,228 listings)
Return to Norway
- This page was last modified on 6 August 2012, at 22:10.
- This page has been accessed 2,000 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More