Berkeley (1785-1791) County, South CarolinaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
- Not to be confused with the Berkeley County that existed 1682-1768.
- Not to be confused with the Berkeley County that has existed 1882-present.
Berkeley (1785-1791) County was created in 1785 in the overarching Charleston District from the northwest central part of Charleston District roughly where present-day Dorchester County and parts of modern Charleston County are found. See the 1785 South Carolina map.
This new 1785 Berkeley County's boundaries only partially overlapped the previous Berkeley County which existed 1682-1768.
Berkeley (1785-1791) County was never surveyed or properly laid out. Its boundaries were ambiguous. Its county government never became functional. Most records were kept at the parish level; none were kept at the county level. There was no county seat. There were no political connotations to the county's existence. In this case the term "county" had no meaning other than to describe an approximate geographical area. It was a county in name only.
Berkeley (1785-1791) County was abolished in 1791.
For documents of people who lived in this area at this time, look in:
- St. Andrew's Parish records since 1706
- St. Paul's Parish records since 1706
- St. George Parish records since 1717
- papers filed in the early capital at Charleston, South Carolina.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "The Counties from 1664 to Present - In Alphabetical Order" in South Carolina - The Counties at http://www.carolana.com/SC/Counties/sc_counties_alphabetical_order.html (accessed 28 April 2011).
- ↑ A History of the Second Berkeley County, South Carolina in Carolana at http://www.carolana.com/SC/Counties/berkeley1_county_sc.html (accessed 5 May 2011).
- ↑ "South Carolina Districts and Parishes 1760" [map] in Carolana at http://www.carolana.com/SC/Royal_Colony/sc_royal_colony_counties_parishes_1760.html (accessed 7 May 2011).
- This page was last modified on 18 June 2013, at 22:16.
- This page has been accessed 1,688 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki