Bexley, KentEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Bexley, Kent ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
St Mary the Virgin Bexley Kent
|Poor Law Union||Dartford PLU|
|Parish registers: 1565|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1669; Separate records exist for Bexley Heath beginning 1842 and for Lamb Abbey beginning 1846|
|Diocese||Pre-1845 - Rochester; Post-1844 - Canterbury|
|Probate Court||Pre-1845 - Court of the Peculiar of the Archbishop of Canterbury in the Deaneries of Arches, Croydon and Shoreham; Post-1844 - Search the courts of surrounding parishes|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent Record Office|
BEXLEY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Dartford, partly in the hundred of Lessness, but chiefly in the hundred of Ruxley, lathe of Sutton-AtHone, W. division of Kent, 3 miles (W.) from Dartford.
Bexley is a a town in the London Borough of Bexley Bexley Wikipedia.
Bexley St Mary the Virgin is an Ancient Parish in Kent Church Website which included within the parish boundary Lamorbey Bexleyheath and part of Welling. Lamorbey Park was developed see also Lamorbey Wikipedia
Other parishes fromed from the Ancient Parish include
Other places of worship include
Baptist: The Broadway, Bexleyheath. Established 1827, demolished 1956.
Bethany Wesleyan Methodist Bexleyheath North St Methodist Church
Albany Park Baptist Church, Stansted Crescent, Bexley Church website
St John Fisher Roman Catholic Church, Thanet Road, Bexley
Strict Baptist Chapel, Bourne Road, Bexley
United Reformed Church, Hurst Road, Bexley
Our Lady of Angels
Congregational: Chapel Rd, Bexleyheath. Built 1853-4, demolished 1987.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Bexley, Kent parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Bexley, Kent Online Parish Records|
|FS PRs||1565-1876||1565-1876; 1754-1826 (banns)||1565-1876|
Bexley Local Studies and Archive Centre is the Diocesan Record Office for all the Church of England Parishes within the London Borough of Bexley reference PA23 St Mary's, Bexley 1565-2002
Barnes Cray parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Barnes Cray Parish Online Records|
Bexley Heath parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Bexley Heath Parish Online Records|
Lamorbey registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Lamorbey Online Records|
Images for Bexley are available at FamilySearch Records see England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments (FamilySearch Historical Records) 1780-1831
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through FHC Portal Computers here have access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
Category:England Family History Centres to locate local Family History Centres in UK
Introduction to LDS Family History Centers to locate outside UK.
Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.
Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable)
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Bexleyheath Cemetery burials from 1879 through 1897 are available online at FreeREG - free.
Local Family History Centre
- FHC Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate (FamilySearch Historical Records) and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments (FamilySearch Historical Records) means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis,A Topographical Dictionary of England,(1848), pp. 228-233. Date accessed: 1 July 2013.
- ↑ 'Kent Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 6 November 2013.
- ↑ 'England, Kent, Bishop's Transcripts, 1560-1911,' FamilySearch, accessed 11 November 2013.
- ↑ 'England, Kent, Parish Registers, 1538-1911,' FamilySearch, accessed 12 November 2013.
- ↑ 'England, Essex Parish Registers (FamilySearch Historical Records),' FamilySearch, accessed 2 September 2014.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Kent, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 12 November 2013.
- This page was last modified on 3 December 2014, at 18:28.
- This page has been accessed 5,138 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page