Biddulph, Staffordshire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Biddulph, Staffordshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Congleton|
|Parish registers: 1558|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1661|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Staffordshire Record Office|
BIDDULPH (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union of Congleton, N. division of the hundred of Pirehilland of the county of Stafford, 3¼ miles (S. E. by. S.)from Congleton. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Biddulph is an Ancient Parish in the county of Staffordshire. Other places in the parish include: Bradley Green, Knypersley, Overton, Nether Biddulph, Over Biddulph, and Middle Biddulph.
Biddulph's name may come from Anglo-Saxon bī dylfe = "beside the pit or quarry". Some have said[weasel words] that the name Biddulph is a corruption of the Saxon Bidulfe, signifying Wolf Slayer, and as a result the Biddulph family crest is a wolf rampant.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Biddulph parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FMP = Staffordshire Parish Register Collection (findmypast) - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|NBI = National Burial Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|BIDDULPH ST LAWRENCE PARISH (1559) Online Records|
||1558-1684, 1813-1863|| |
Biddulph parish registers, Microfilm copies of original records in the Staffordshire Record Office, Stafford, England. Contents: Baptisms, 1558-1640,1653-1902 -- Burials, 1558-1640, 1653-1906 -- Marriages, 1558-1640, 1655-1900.
Staffordshire Record Office no. : D3539/1/1-23.
Parish registers FHL BRITISH Film 1278828 Items 1-21
Bishop's transcripts for Biddulph Microfilm of original records in the Gloucester City Library, England.
Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1965, 1966
Baptisms, marriages and burials, 1661-1812. FHL BRITISH Film 417170 Item 2
Baptisms, marriages and burials, 1813-1868. FHL BRITISH Film 426485
Overseer accounts for Biddulph, 1630-1734
Microfilm copies of original records in the Staffordshire Record Office, Stafford, England.
Staffordshire Record Office no.: D3539/2/1-3.
Accounts 1630-1734 FHL BRITISH Film 1519700 Items 1-3
- 1532/3 - A List of Families in Biddulph, Staffordshire Genealogy 1532/3 FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474619.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848). Date accessed and adapted: 22 October 2013.
- ↑ 'Staffordshire Parish Records Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 23 July 2014.
- ↑ 'Staffordshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 26 September 2014.
- ↑ 'IGI Batch Numbers for Stafford (A-M), England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 18 September 2013.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 8 September 2013.
- ↑ Ann J. Kettle, A List of Families in the Archdeaconry of Stafford, 1532-3 (Stafford: Staffordshire Record Society, 1976). FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
- This page was last modified on 7 June 2015, at 12:13.
- This page has been accessed 4,785 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News