Bignor, SussexEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Bignor, Sussex ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Sutton PLU|
|Parish registers: 1555|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1591|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) of Chichester for the Archdeaconry of Chichester|
|Location of Archive|
|Sussex Record Office|
BIGNOR (Holy Cross), a parish, in the union of Sutton (under Gilbert's act), hundred of Bury, rape of Arundel, W. division of Sussex, 5½ miles (S. by E.) from Petworth.
Holy Cross Bignor is an Ancient parish in West Sussex and includes Buddington within the parish boundary.
Church history Bignor Holy Cross
The Parish church of Holy Cross has been designateda grade I listed building British listed building
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
From 1837 this parish was in the Chichester registration district
Certificates can be ordered from West Sussex
Centralised Certificates Office
West Sussex Record Office
Phone: 01243 642122
Bignor, Sussex parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BIGNOR PARISH Online Records|
West Sussex Record Office has deposited parish Registers Bap 1565-1992 Marr 1563-1721, 1757-1998 Bur 1563-1990
Bishop's Transcripts 1591-1869
Link to the FamilySearch Catalogue showing the film numbers in their collection Bignor
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474671.
See Sussex Census
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Sussex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 237-241. Date accessed: 20 September 2013
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Sussex, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 3 January 2014.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - Coverage', The Parish Register Transcription Society, accessed 22 December 2013.
- ↑ Sussex Online Parish Clerks, accessed 7 January 2014.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- This page was last modified on 15 November 2014, at 21:43.
- This page has been accessed 1,593 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page