Birmingham Alabama Family History CenterEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
Come and enjoy access to many wonderful resources for your research.
Center Contacts and Hours
Location & Map:
- 2789 Altadena Road, Birmingham, Alabama, 35243
- Corner of Altadena Road and Cahaba River Road in the Church.
- Our door is nearest the Altadena Road entrance to parking.
Phone: (205) 967-7279
Current Planned Hours of Operation:
Wednesday: 9am-4pm; by appointment between 4pm and 8pm
Some Saturdays: 9am-2pm
Staff Training Meetings:
Fourth Sunday 4:15pm-5:15pm
No meeting in June, November, December
- May 8 "Native American Research" Class by Patricia Coleman. 1-3pm and 6-8pm.
- May 22 "RootsMagic Essentials" Workshop by Bell Woods. 6-8pm Class limit of 4. Call or email to reserve a seat. Practice using the free version of RootsMagic for organizing your research.
- July 10 "RootsMagic Essentials" Class by Bell Woods. 1-2pm and 7-8pm Introduction to the free version of RootsMagic.
- July 24 "Family Tree" Workshop with Anne Norris. Practice using this amazing new feature of familysearch.org. 6-8pm Class limit of 4. Call or email to reserve a seat.
- August 28 "RootsMagic Essentials" Workshop by Bell Woods. 6-8pm. Class limit of 4. Call or email to reserve a seat. Practice using the free version of RootsMagic for organizing your research.
- Family History Library Catalog: This center can receive your on-line film or fiche order from the Family History Library Catalog.
- Alabama Death Records for years 1908 to 1963, complete. 1964-1974, various.
- Many microfilm for England, Ireland, Germany, Scotland, South Africa
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal Free access in the center to premium family history websites
- 19th Century British Library Newspaper Digital Archive
- Access Newspaper Archive
- Alexander Street Press-The American Civil War
- Find My Past
- Heritage Quest
- Historic Map Works
- Paper Trail
- World Vital Records.
Hardware and Equipment
- Computers, microfilm readers, microfilm/fiche printer for paper or digital, fiche readers
Staff Research Specialties
Irish Research: Patricia Coleman
Resources in the Local Area
- Alabama Genealogical Society
- BAAGSG , Birmingham African American Genealogy Study Group, (Meets on 2nd Sunday, 3rd Floor of Linn-Henley Building at Birmingham Central Library)
- Birmingham Genealogical Group (Meets 4th Saturday at Birmingham Central Library, 2-4pm)
- Birmingham Central Library: features extensive collection for Southern research
- Samford University: Outstanding seminars for genealogists, Is Reposistory Alabama Baptist Church Records, large Ireland collection, many other records
- Birmingham Southern University: Has Archives for Methodist Church
Volunteer at the Center
We need volunteers to work at the Center during regular hours. Contact Director for more information.
- This page was last modified on 30 April 2013, at 18:44.
- This page has been accessed 1,143 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More