Bishopsnympton, Devon GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Bishopsnympton, Devon ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||South Molton PLU|
|Registration District||South Molton|
|Parish registers: 1556|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1607|
|Rural Deanery||South Molton|
|Probate Court||Court of the Peculiar of the Bishop of Exeter (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Devon Record Office|
NYMPTON, or NYMETT, BISHOP'S, a parish, in the union of South Molton, hundred of Witheridge, South Molton and N. divisions of Devon, 3 miles (E. S. E.) from South Molton.
Births, marriages and deaths were kept by the government from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Bishopsnympton, Devon Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|Bishopsnympton, Devon Genealogy Online Parish Records|
- Bible Christian Methodist
- Plymouth Brethren
- Wesleyan Methodist
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241328.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Devon Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Valuable web sites are:
- 1851 Jurisdiction Maps
- Vision of Britain
Bishopsnympton on GENUKI
- ↑ Lewis Samuel, A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 461-463. Date accessed: 24 October 2013.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Devon, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 12 February 2014.
- ↑ Roger Granville and W.E. Mugford, Abstracts of the Existing Transcripts of the Lost Parish-Registers of Devon, 1596-1644 (Exeter: William Pollard and Co. Ltd., 1908). Digitised by Internet Archive.
- This page was last modified on 18 June 2015, at 20:27.
- This page has been accessed 3,320 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News