Black Hawk County, IowaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Black Hawk County Iowa genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Black Hawk County, Iowa|
Location in the state of Iowa
Location of Iowa in the U.S.
|Founded||February 17, 1843|
|Address|| Black Hawk County Courthouse|
316 E. 5th St.
Waterloo, IA 50703-4774
Black Hawk County Website
Black Hawk County Courthouse
316 E. 5th St.
Waterloo, IA 50703-4774
1843--Black Hawk County was created 17 February 1843 from Buchanan County. Black Hawk County was attached to Buchanan, Benton, and Delaware Counties prior to organization 17 August 1853. County seat: Black Hawk 
Cemeteries in and around Cedar Falls, Black Hawk, Iowa
- Catholic Cemeteries of Waterloo Inc. 3912 West 4th Street - Waterloo, Iowa 319 233-0746
- CEDAR VALLEY MEMORIAL GARDENS 319-233-6136
- Elmwood Cemetery Associations 226 Elmwood Street, Cedar Falls, Iowa 319 232-2348
- Fairview Cemetery Associations 611 Fairview Drive, Cedar Falls, Iowa 319 234-8621
- Floral Hills Memorial Gardens ; Funeral Home 1093 Jackson Ave,Hazelton, Iowa 319 626-2442
- GARDEN MEMORIAL CEMETERY & MOUSOLEUM 2669 Logan Ave, Cedar Falls, Iowa 319 233-6126
- Garden View Chapel 3655 Logan Ave, Cedar Falls, Iowa 319 232-2222
- Oelwein City 13o1 W Charles Street, Oelwine, Iowa 319 283-5228
- Waterloo Cemetery 1830 Kimbal Ave. Waterloo, Iowa 319 232-4751
- Waterloo Memorial Park Cemetery and Chapel 3430 West 4th Street, Waterloo, Iowa 319 232-4165
- RICHARDSON FUNERAL HOME at 615 Main Street, Cedar Falls, Iowa 319-266-3525, is an excellent contact when you are looking for someone who has died in the Cedar Falls, Iowa Area. They can direct you to the place they are buried and whom to contact for more information. Their records are on the computer. They told me to contact Rusty at 11:00 Midwest time for more information. This lead to finding several generations of the person who had died. He was the sexton of one of the cemeteries.
Other funeral homes are: Parrot & Wood Chapel of Memories www,overtonservice.com 319-232-3235 Redman-Schwartz Funeral Home , Parkersburg, Iowa 319-346-1534 Redman-Schwartz Funeral Home, Clarkville, Iowa 319-278-4245 Reiff Funeral Home, Independence, Iowa 319-334-2501 Richardson as above 319-266-3525 Sanders Funeral Service 319-232-5667 Vogel Funeral Home Allison, Iowa 319-267-2507 White Funeral Home Independence, Iowa 319-334-2595 White Funeral Home Jessup, Iowa 319-827-3695 Woods Funeral Home Fredericksburg, Iowa 319-827-3695
Iowa recorded not only the federal census but state census through out the years too. The state census contains very valuable genealogical information. Where the census information can be found, what years it was taken, mortality schedules, census substitutions and much more is discussed in the very informative Iowa Census article.
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Iowa Church Records.
Trinity Lutheran Church, Waterloo
- Records of the Trinity Lutheran Church, Waterloo, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, Washburn, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Iowa Land and Property for additional information about early Iowa land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Black Hawk County, Iowa. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Iowa Local Histories.
Local Histories and memories of Cedar Falls, Black Hawk, Iowa. Go to Facebook.com search for: igrewupin Cedar Falls There are memories of places, events form the early years to date. Wonderful to learn about the residents of a Great town. Have you ever heard of DeTasseling Corn? It is in there. How about a Breaded Pork Tenderloin sandwich? Who made the best ever? The town's concentration and love for the arts and music... Check out the site.
- Iowa USGS Topographic
Choose Airport, Bridge, Building, Cemetery, Church, Civil, Hospital, Lake, Locale, Park, Populated Place, Post Office, School, Stream, Summit, Trail
- NewspaperArchive.com ($) has historical newspapers online including Waterloo newspapers that covered local news on Black Hawk County residents. This database is free at some libraries.
In most counties in Iowa, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The Family History Library Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Iowa - Black Hawk - Probate records.
Iowa tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. Tax lists were usually made every year, however, there may be gaps of several years. For more information, see the wiki page Iowa Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Iowa Department of Public Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Northeast Iowa Genealogical Society
- Iowa Genealogical Web-Black Hawk County (IAGenWeb)
- Family History Library Catalog
- Black Hawk County, Iowa Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- This page was last modified on 13 August 2013, at 21:51.
- This page has been accessed 3,947 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More