Black Hawk County, IowaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Black Hawk County, Iowa ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Black Hawk County, Iowa|
Location in the state of Iowa
Location of Iowa in the U.S.
|Founded||February 17, 1843|
|Address|| Black Hawk County Courthouse|
316 E. 5th St.
Waterloo, IA 50703-4774
Black Hawk County Website
Black Hawk County Courthouse
316 E. 5th St.
Waterloo, IA 50703-4774
1843--Black Hawk County was created 17 February 1843 from Buchanan County. Black Hawk County was attached to Buchanan, Benton, and Delaware Counties prior to organization 17 August 1853. County seat: Black Hawk 
For animated maps illustrating Iowa County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Iowa County Boundary Maps" (1816-1872) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Iowa Counties see: Iowa Counties with Burned Courthouses
Town/city records in the FamilySearch Catalog
- Black Hawk Township
- Cedar Falls
- La Porte City
- Spring Creek Township
- Waterloo Township
Cemeteries in and around Cedar Falls, Black Hawk, Iowa
- Catholic Cemeteries of Waterloo Inc. 3912 West 4th Street - Waterloo, Iowa 319 233-0746
- CEDAR VALLEY MEMORIAL GARDENS 319-233-6136
- Elmwood Cemetery Associations 226 Elmwood Street, Cedar Falls, Iowa 319 232-2348
- Fairview Cemetery Associations 611 Fairview Drive, Cedar Falls, Iowa 319 234-8621
- Floral Hills Memorial Gardens ; Funeral Home 1093 Jackson Ave,Hazelton, Iowa 319 626-2442
- GARDEN MEMORIAL CEMETERY & MOUSOLEUM 2669 Logan Ave, Cedar Falls, Iowa 319 233-6126
- Garden View Chapel 3655 Logan Ave, Cedar Falls, Iowa 319 232-2222
- Oelwein City 13o1 W Charles Street, Oelwine, Iowa 319 283-5228
- Waterloo Cemetery 1830 Kimbal Ave. Waterloo, Iowa 319 232-4751
- Waterloo Memorial Park Cemetery and Chapel 3430 West 4th Street, Waterloo, Iowa 319 232-4165
- RICHARDSON FUNERAL HOME at 615 Main Street, Cedar Falls, Iowa 319-266-3525, is an excellent contact when you are looking for someone who has died in the Cedar Falls, Iowa Area. They can direct you to the place they are buried and whom to contact for more information. Their records are on the computer. They told me to contact Rusty at 11:00 Midwest time for more information. This lead to finding several generations of the person who had died. He was the sexton of one of the cemeteries.
Other funeral homes are: Parrot & Wood Chapel of Memories www,overtonservice.com 319-232-3235 Redman-Schwartz Funeral Home , Parkersburg, Iowa 319-346-1534 Redman-Schwartz Funeral Home, Clarkville, Iowa 319-278-4245 Reiff Funeral Home, Independence, Iowa 319-334-2501 Richardson as above 319-266-3525 Sanders Funeral Service 319-232-5667 Vogel Funeral Home Allison, Iowa 319-267-2507 White Funeral Home Independence, Iowa 319-334-2595 White Funeral Home Jessup, Iowa 319-827-3695 Woods Funeral Home Fredericksburg, Iowa 319-827-3695
Iowa recorded not only the federal census but state census through out the years too. The state census contains very valuable genealogical information. Where the census information can be found, what years it was taken, mortality schedules, census substitutions and much more is discussed in the very informative Iowa Census article.
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Iowa Church Records.
Trinity Lutheran Church, Waterloo
- Records of the Trinity Lutheran Church, Waterloo, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, Washburn, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Iowa Land and Property for additional information about early Iowa land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Black Hawk County, Iowa. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Iowa Local Histories.
Local Histories and memories of Cedar Falls, Black Hawk, Iowa. Go to Facebook.com search for: igrewupin Cedar Falls There are memories of places, events form the early years to date. Wonderful to learn about the residents of a Great town. Have you ever heard of DeTasseling Corn? It is in there. How about a Breaded Pork Tenderloin sandwich? Who made the best ever? The town's concentration and love for the arts and music... Check out the site.
- Melendy, Peter. Historical record of Cedar Falls, the garden city of Iowa : containing a brief history of Iowa, of Black Hawk County, and a full and complete description of industrial and picturesque Cedar Falls. Cedar Falls, Iowa : Peter Melendy, 1893.
- Online at FamilySearch (Free)
- Van Metre, Isaiah. History of Black Hawk County, Iowa and representative citizens. Chicago : Biographical Pub. Co., 1904.
- Online at ROD Library (Free)
- History of Black Hawk County, Iowa, and its people. Chicago, Illinois : S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1915.
- Old Antique Atlases & Maps of Iowa
- Township Map of 1875 Black Hawk County, Iowa with enlarged views of each township (My Genealogy Hound)
- Iowa USGS Topographic
Choose Airport, Bridge, Building, Cemetery, Church, Civil, Hospital, Lake, Locale, Park, Populated Place, Post Office, School, Stream, Summit, Trail
Regiments. Service men in Black Hawk County, Iowa served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Black Hawk County, Iowa:
- - 3rd Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company K
- - 9th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company G
- - 12th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company E
- - 12th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company E
:- 1st Regiment, Iowa Cavalry, Company G
:- 3rd Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company K
:- 9th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company G
- NewspaperArchive.com ($) has historical newspapers online including Waterloo newspapers that covered local news on Black Hawk County residents. This database is free at some libraries.
- Cedar Falls Gazette (Cedar Falls, Iowa) at Ancestry.com ($)
In most counties in Iowa, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Iowa - Black Hawk - Probate records.
Iowa tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. Tax lists were usually made every year, however, there may be gaps of several years. For more information, see the wiki page Iowa Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Iowa Department of Public Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also How to order Iowa Vital Records or order electronically online..
Societies and Libraries
See also a List of Iowa Archives, Libraries, Publications, Historical & Genealogical Societies
Family History Centers
|Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.|
| Check back often with these websites. Internet offerings are growing at record rates.
Local societies and libraries may know of other websites.
|State Historical Society of Iowa||Free||list and links to data and "hard copy" material - results of "blackhawk county" placed in search box|
|The Iowa Heritage Digital Collection||Free||digital images from a variety of Iowa cultural institutions - results of "blackhawk county" in the search box|
|State Library of Iowa||Free||electronic depository of documents intended for the general public produced by Iowa agencies - results of "blackhawk county" in the search box|
|IAGenWeb Project||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or complete transcriptions|
|USGenWeb Archives||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|  FamilySearch||Free||Births, 1880-1935; Deaths 1880-1992; Marriages, 1838-1934; all indexes|
|RootsWeb Resources||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|Linkpendium||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|CyndisList||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|StateofUS.com||Free||family history resources and government records|
Books, microfilm, or manuscripts of genealogical records
|FamilySearch Catalog||Select topics. To select towns, add a comma to the search box.|
|WorldCat||To find nearby libraries that have specific items, see WorldCat Online Catalog.|
|Allen County Public Library||located in Indiana They are heavily involved in digitizing.|
|GeneaBloggers||enter "Iowa" in search box to see list and links to Iowa blogs|
|Google+||list of groups from "iowa genealogy" search|
|list of groups from "Iowa Genealogy" search|
|genealogy.com||Black Hawk County, IA Genealogy Forum|
|ancestry.com||Black Hawk County Message Board|
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- This page was last modified on 2 December 2014, at 23:41.
- This page has been accessed 11,038 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page