Black Torrington, Devon GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Black Torrington, Devon ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Black Torrington, Devon|
|Poor Law Union||Holsworthy|
|Parish registers: 1547|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1598|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Totnes|
|Location of Archive|
|Devon Record Office|
TORR1NGTON, BLACK (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Holswortuy, hundred of Black Torrington, Holsworthy and N. divisions of Devon, 6 miles (W. by N.) from Hatherleigh. There is a place of worship for Baptists.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Black Torrington, Devon Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|Black Torrington, Devon Genealogy Online Parish Records|
- Bible Christian Methodist
- Wesleyan Methodist
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 2413026.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Devon Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Black Torrington on GENUKI
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 377-380. Date accessed and adapted: 24 October 2013.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Devon, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 12 February 2014.
- ↑ Roger Granville and W.E. Mugford, Abstracts of the Existing Transcripts of the Lost Parish-Registers of Devon, 1596-1644 (Exeter: William Pollard and Co. Ltd., 1908). Digitised by Internet Archive.
- This page was last modified on 18 June 2015, at 20:42.
- This page has been accessed 5,082 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News