Blackford County, IndianaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Blackford County Indiana genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Blackford County, Indiana|
Location of Indiana in the U.S.
|Founded||February 15, 1838|
|County Seat||Hartford City|
|Address|| Blackford County Indiana|
110 W Washington Street
Hartford City, IN 47348
Blackford County Website
- Hartford City
- Roll (Formerly named Dundee)
- Shamrock Lakes
Coordinates: 40.47° N - 85.32° W
Area: 165 Sq. Miles
- Wikipedia Link
- Bowser Station - Dorsey Station - Frog Alley - Greenland - Mollie - Pleasantdale - Renner - Silas - Slocum - Winterhurst
Independent Order of Odd Fellows (sometimes abbreviated 'IOOF') Cemetery. Hartford City - *BillionGraves *Find A Grave *Indiana State Library Reference: (I.O.O.F. Cemetery, Hartford City, Indiana (1960-1981). 46 pp. (See also 977.201 B628bc for records prior to 1920 and "microfilm" for records to 1960). Genealogy Division, q 977.202 H328io)
Blackford County, Indiana Cemeteries - INGenWeb
Blackford County, Indiana - see Cemeteries - Linkpendium
For tips on accessing Blackford County, Indiana census records online, see: Indiana Census.
- Index to Defective, Dependent & Delinquent Census for Blackford County, Indiana (1880) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Index to Mortality Schedule for Blackford County, Indiana (1860) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic and Religious Groups
- Biographical and Historical Record of Jay and Blackford Counties, Indiana: Containing Portraits of all the Presidents of the United States from Washington to Cleveland, with'A'ccompanying Biographies of each ; A Condensed History of the State of Indiana ; Portraits and Biographies of some of the Prominent Men of the State ; engravings of prominent citizens in Jay and Blackford Counties, with personal histories of many of the leading families, and a concise history of Jay and Blackford Counties and their cities and villages. (1978. Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co.) FHL Collection other libraries FamilySearch Books Online
- Shinn, Benjamin G. Blackford and Grant Counties, Indiana. Chicago: Lewis Publishing Co., 1914, 2 Vols. Vol. 1 - Vol. 2
- Blackford County, Indiana History - Linkpendium
Land and Property
Civil War service men from Blackford County served in various regiments. Men often joined a regiment or a company (within a regiment)that originated in their county. Listed below are the military units that were formed in or had many men from Blackford County.
- 7th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry, Company K
- 34th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company I
- 84th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company K
- 130th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company I
- 138th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (100 days, 1864), Company I
- 139th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (100 days, 1864), Company I
- 153rd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies G, and H
- THE CIVIL WAR Part 3, Chapter 7 in Biographical and Historical Record of Jay and Blackford Counties, Indiana: containing portraits of all the presidents of the United States from Washington to Cleveland, with accompanying biographies of each; a condensed history of the state of Indiana; portraits and biographies of some of the prominent men of the state; engravings of prominent citizens in Jay and Blackford Counties, with personal histories of many of the leading families, and a concise history of Jay and Blackford Counties and their cities and villages. (Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co., 1978), (page 738-743; some Regiment and Companies) FamilySearch Books Online; FHL Collection other libraries 
- Records of Indiana Rangers in the Civil War, Montpelier, Indiana Men by Cecil E. Beeson
- -see Military Record and Histoties - Linkpendium
World War I (The Great War), 1914-1918
World War II, 1941-1945
Naturalization and Citizenship
Blackford County Indiana
110 W Washington Street
Hartford City, IN 47348
County Clerk has marriage, divorce, probate and court records from1839.
City and County Health Officers have birth and death records.
County Recorder has land records.
County Coroner has burial records. 
Family History Centers
- Licensed Teachers of Blackford County, Indiana (1888-1889) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- 1839-1857 Index to Marriages for Blackford County (1839-1857) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Blackford County IN Gen Web
- Family History Library Catalog
- Blackford County, Indiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Blackford County,com
- Blackford County Historical Society
- Blackford County Records at Indiana State Library
- Blackford County Newspapers at Indiana State Library
- Hartford City News Times Newspaper
- Hartford City Publis Library
- Family History Catalog Listing
- Blackford County, Indiana History, Records, Facts and Genealogy - N2genealogy
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Blackford County, Indiana 211 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- This page was last modified on 16 April 2013, at 18:57.
- This page has been accessed 2,093 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More