Bland County, VirginiaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Bland County, Virginia ancestry, family history and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, immigration records, and military records.
|Bland County, Virginia|
Location in the state of Virginia
Location of Virginia in the U.S.
Bland County Virginia Courthouse
Bland County Courthouse
612 Main Street, Suite 104
Bland, VA 24315
Clerk Circuit court has marriage, probate and land records 1861
and divorce records from 1900
Bland County Virginia History
For animated maps illustrating Virginia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Virginia County Boundary Maps" (1617-1995) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Virginia counties see: Virginia Counties with Burned Courthouses.
For suggestions about research in places that suffered historic record losses, see:
Bland County Virginia Genealogy Resources
- Dorman, John Frederick. "A Guide to the Counties of Virginia: Bland County," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 5, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1961):77-78. Available at New England Ancestors ($).
Images of the Virginia Historical Society's family Bible collection have been digitized:
- Virginia Historical Society Papers, 1607-2007 - browse collection at FamilySearch; free.
Additional Bible records include:
For a more detailed list, including addresses and external links, see Bland County, Virginia Cemeteries.
The following is a list of cemeteries in Bland County: 
For tips on accessing Bland County, Virginia census records online, see: Virginia Census.
|Source: "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau.|
- Indexed images of Bland County, Virginia Chancery Records 1874-1928 are available online through Virginia Memory: Chancery Records Index. The online indexes continues from 1928 through 1938, but at present does not include images. These records, often concerned with inheritance disputes, contain a wealth of genealogical information.
Land and Property
War of 1812
- List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883; Giving the Name of Each Pensioner, the Cause for Why Pensioned, the Post-Office Address, the Rate of Pension Per Month, and the Date of Original Allowance... Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1883. FHL Collection 973 M2Lp v. 5; digital versions at Google Books and Internet Archive. [See Vol. 5, Virginia, Bland County, p. 64.]
Bland County men most often served in regiments (and companies) from their home county. At times, however, individuals and small groups can be found serving in regiments from neighboring counties. Later in the war, Confederate units often reorganized.
- History of Bland County (Virginia).Radford, Virginia: Commonwealth Press, 1961, that includes names of units from this county and a roster of the men who served in these units on pages 259-277.975.5765 H2b Pages 275-276 lists very small groups of Bland County soldiers who served in other regiments.
- - 8th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate). Company F (Bland Rangers)
- - 36th Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Confederate).
- - 45th Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Confederate). Company F (Sharpshooters).
- - 47th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate). Company B.
- - 51st Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Confederate). Company F (or K).
The Virginia Newspapers Project identifies local Bland County, Virginia newspapers.
- 1890 - Smith, Denise A. 1890 Bland County, Virginia Property Tax Records. Signal Mountain, Tenn.: Mountain Press, 2004. FamilySearch Books Online - free.
Indexes to Bland County, Virginia births, marriages, and deaths are available online. These collections are incomplete, but are easy to search. Most records can also be ordered electronically online as well. Courtesy: FamilySearch - free. See also How to order Virginia Vital Records
- 1861-1896 - Fridley, Beth, comp. Bland County, Virginia Births: 1861-96 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2000. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
- 1861-1929 - Bland County Marriage Index 1861-1929. Batch M868575 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1861-1929 - Bland County Marriage Index 1861-1929. Batch M868557 (broken link) at FamilySearch - free.
Vital Record Substitutes
|For birth, marriage, and death record substitutes, see Bible Records, Cemeteries, Church Records, Newspapers, and Probate Records.|
Bland County Virginia Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
|Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.|
Bland County Virginia Genealogy Websites
- Bland Co., VAGenWeb. Part of the USGenWeb Project. Maps, name indexes, history.
- Bland County, VA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy (Familytree101)
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Cyndi's List
Bland County Virginia Genealogy References
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Bland County, Virginia. Page 711 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ Wikipedia Contributors, "Bland County, Virginia," in Wikipedia: The Free Encyclopedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bland_County, accessed 13 January 2012.
- ↑ Lost Records Localities: Counties and Cities with Missing Records, 4, in Library of Virginia (accessed 4 April 2014).
- ↑ USGS Map, Topozone.com
- ↑ "Virginia Memory: Chancery Records Index Availability," Library of Virginia (accessed 26 January 2010).
- ↑ Jack L. Dickinson, 8th Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1986). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 25.
- ↑ J.L. Scott, 45th Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1989). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 58.
- ↑ Richard L. Armstrong, 26th Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1994). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 110.
- ↑ James A. Davis, 51st Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1984). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 9; A Guide to Virginia Military Organization 1861-1865, 287.
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/3/37/Igivirginia.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 6 November 2014, at 00:27.
- This page has been accessed 49,674 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page