Bletchingley, SurreyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Bletchingley St+Mary Surrey
|Poor Law Union||Godstone PLU|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1679|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey|
|Location of Archive|
|Surrey Record Office|
BLETCHINGLEY (St. Mary), a parish, and formerly a borough and market-town, in the union of Godstone, First division of the hundred of Tanbridge, E. division of Surrey, 21 miles (S.) from London.
Bletchingley, Surrey family history and genealogy research page. Guide to parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Link to the FamilySearch Catalogue showing the film numbers in their collection Bletchingley
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through FHC Portal Computers here have access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
 to locate local Family History Centres in UK
 to locate outside UK.
Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.
Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable)
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions
A parish workhouse existed in the parish in the 1790's; an index for the parish records has been prepared by volunteers at the Surrey History Centre, 130 Goldsworth Road, Woking, Surrey GU21 6ND ref(BG5/55/1-14)
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Surrey Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
- 1664 Hearth Tax at Hearth Tax Online - free.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848) Date accessed: 24 September 2013
- ↑ Batches C017102, P017101, see: Hugh Wallis, "IGI Batch Numbers for Surrey, England," IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 2 April 2012.
- ↑ Batch M017101, see: Hugh Wallis, "IGI Batch Numbers for Surrey, England," IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 2 April 2012.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage,' Find My Past, accessed 11 April 2012. For a breakdown of missing years, see 'National Burial Index - Coverage: Surrey,' Federation of Family History Societies, accessed 11 April 2012.
- ↑ 'Surrey Marriage Index - Parishes in the index,' British Origins, accessed 18 September 2012.
- ↑ "Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county," Origins.net (WayBack Machine), accessed 27 March 2012.
- ↑ 'About Surrey and South London Will Abstracts 1470-1858,' Origins.net, accessed 27 June 2012.
- This page was last modified on 25 July 2014, at 18:23.
- This page has been accessed 7,141 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki