Blidworth, NottinghamshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Blidworth St Mary is an Ancient Parish in the county of Nottinghamshire. Other places in the parish include: Rainworth, Fishpool, and Bottoms.
The church of St Mary of the Purification dates from the 15th century in part and was rebuilt in 1735 and partially rebuilt in 1839. It has been designated a grade II* listed building by English Heritage British listed building
Blidworth and its graveyard have been linked to the Robin Hood legend (reputedly the burial place of Will Scarlett or birthplace of Maid Marian) Blidworth Wikipedia St Mary of the Purification Wikipedia
The Blidworth and District Historical and heritage site includes images of the church and the graveyard model of the old church Blidworth Historical Society
The Southwell and Nottingham Church History project have researched the history of the church and parish Blidworth St Mary of the Purification
BLIDWORTH (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Mansfield, Southwell division of the wapentake of Thurgarton, S. division of the county of Nottingham, 5 miles (S. S. E.) from Mansfield; containing, with the hamlets of Lower Blidworth, Bottoms, Fishpool, and Rainworth, and the extra-parochial places of Lindhurst and Haywood-Oaks. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Certificates may be obtained from:
The Register Office
100 Chesterfield Road South
Phone 01623 476564
Fax 01623 636284
Blidworth St Mary of the Purification
Blidworth parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|PALL = Pallot's Marriage Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|TGEN = TheGenealogist - (£)|
|BLIDWORTH PARISH Online Records|
Deposited records at Nottinghamshire Archives Baptisms 1566-1967 Marriages 1570-1956 Burials 1566- 1957 Bishop's Transcripts 1635-1835
Nottinghamshire County Council
NG2 7QP telephone: 08449 808080 online
Rainworth St Simon and St Jude
Deposited records at Nottinghamshire Archives Baptisms 1916-1961 Marriages 1939-1963
Link to the Family History Library Catalogue showing the film numbers in their collection Blidworth
Census records from 1841-1891 are available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438908. To view these census images online, they are available through the following websites for a fee ($) or free:
- FamilySearch has some of the British Censuses available.
- FindMyPast ($) has all available census records including images, and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and some public and academic libraries.
- Ancestry.co.uk ($) has now all available census records but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and at numerous public and academic libraries. The library versions are known as AncestryInstitution.com.
- The Genealogist.co.uk ($) has all available censuses and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- FreeCen is a UK census searches. It is not complete and individuals are always asked to consider helping out with transcriptions.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Nottinghamshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above..
- This page was last modified on 10 October 2013, at 22:30.
- This page has been accessed 1,030 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More