Blue Earth County, MinnesotaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Blue Earth County Minnesota genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Blue Earth County, Minnesota|
Location in the state of Minnesota
Location of Minnesota in the U.S.
|Founded||March 5, 1853|
|Address|| Blue Earth County Courthouse|
410 South 5th Street
Mankato, MN 56001
Blue Earth County Website
Clerk District Court has birth and death records from 1870, marriage records from 1865, divorce and court records from 1854 and probate records from 1858. Register of Deeds has land records. 
- 1853--Blue Earth County was created 5 March 1853 from unorganized territory and Dakota County.
County seat: Mankato 
- For a brief history of how Blue Earth County was named, click here. Then select Blue Earth County.
Beauford Township | Butternut Valley Township | Cambria Township | Ceresco Township | Danville Township | Decoria Township | Garden City Township | Jamestown Township | Judson Township | Le Ray Township |Lime Township | Lincoln Township | Lyra Township | Mankato Township | Mapleton Township | McPherson Township | Medo Township | Pleasant Mound Township | Rapidan Township | Shelby Township | South Bend Township | Sterling Township | Vernon Center Township
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Minnesota Church Records.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
LDS Ward and Branch Records
The county register of deeds keeps land records once the land was transferred to private ownership. Abstracts and indexes for these records are generally available at the county courthouse.
Land records for Minnesota are listed in the Place Search of the Family History Library Catalog under:
MINNESOTA, Blue Earth – LAND AND PROPERTY
Local histories are available for Blue Earth County, Minnesota. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Minnesota Local Histories.
Civil War service men from Blue Earth County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Blue Earth County.
- - 1st Regiment, Minnesota Cavalry (Mounted Rangers), Companies B, E, and H.
- - 1st Regiment, Minnesota Heavy Artillery, Company F.
- - 2nd Regiment, Minnesota Cavalry, Companies E and H.
- - 3rd Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company H.
- - 4th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company H.
- - 6th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company I.
- - 9th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Companies D and E.
- - Brackett's Battalion, Minnesota Cavalry, Company B.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Blue Earth County, Minnesota newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records may include, wills, bonds, petitions, accounts, inventories, administrations, orders, decrees, and distributions. They may include the decedent’s date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, etc. See Minnesota Probate Records for additional information.
Minnesota tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses before 1820 or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Minnesota Taxation.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Minnesota State Registrar of Vital Records or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also Minnesota Vital Records. For information about restrictions and costs for certificates, see the CDC Where to Write for Vital Records site.
Societies and Libraries
- Blue Earth County, MN Genealogy Forum (GenForum)
- Family History Library Catalog
- Blue Earth County GenWeb
- Cyndi's List: Blue Earth County
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Blue Earth County, Minnesota page 362, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- This page was last modified on 16 August 2013, at 16:27.
- This page has been accessed 4,325 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More