Blyth, NottinghamshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Blyth St Mary & St Martin Nottinghamshire
|Hundred||Bassetlaw; Strafforth and Tickhill|
|Poor Law Union||Worksop PLU|
|Registration District||Doncaster; East Retford; Worksop|
|Parish registers: 1556; Separate registers exist for Austerfield beginning 1559 and also for Bawtry beginning 1653|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1600; Separate records exist for Austerfield beginning 1600 and also for Bawtry beginning 1627|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Nottingham|
|Location of Archive|
|Nottinghamshire Record Office|
BLYTH (St. Martin), is a parish, in the unions of Doncaster, East Retford, and Worksop; partly in the N. and partly in the S. division of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, W. riding of York; and partly in the Hatfield division of the wapentake of Bassetlaw, N. division of the county of Nottingham; 31¼ miles (N. by E.) from Nottingham. The parish contains the chapelries of Bawtry and Austerfield, and the townships of Barnby-Moor, Blyth, Hodsock, Ranskill, Torworth, and part of Styrrup. At Austerfield and Bawtry are chapels of ease. There are places of worship for the Society of Friends and Wesleyans.
Blyth St Mary and St Martin Priory church is an extensive Ancient Parish. Other places in the parish include: Barnby Moor , Torworth, Bilby, Blyth with Norney, Goldthorpe, Hodsock, Hodsock with Goldthorpe, Norney, Old Cotes, Oldcoates, Oldcoats, Oldcotes, Ranby, Ranskill, Styrrup, and Barnby Moor with Bilby.
Southwell and Nottingham Church History project have researched the church history Blyth St Mary and St Martin
The priory Church of St Mary and St Martin is partly 11th century in origin and has been designated a grade I listed building by English Heritage British listed building
For information about the Priory, Blyth Hall and the leper hospital of St John the Evangelist see Blyth Wikipedia
From this parish were formed
Langold St Luke (1943) see Diocese of Southwell and Nottingham Wikipedia
Blyth is an Ancient Parish in the county of Nottinghamshire.
Other places in the parish include: Barnby Moor , Torworth, Bilby, Blyth with Norney, Goldthorpe, Hodsock, Hodsock with Goldthorpe, Norney, Old Cotes, Oldcoates, Oldcoats, Oldcotes, Ranby, Ranskill, Styrrup, and Barnby Moor with Bilby.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
For history of civil registration in this area see Worksop Registration District
Blyth St Mary and St Martin
Deposited records at Nottinghamshire Archives Baptisms 1556-1968Marriages 1556-1964 Burials 1556-1928 Bishop's Transcripts 1600-1866
Nottinghamshire County Council
NG2 7QP telephone: 08449 808080 online
Deposited records at Nottinghamshire Archives Marriages 1962-1985
Langold St Luke Baptisms 1943-1961 Marriages 1943-1957 Burials 1943-1984
Link to the FamilySearch Catalogue showing the film numbers in their collection Blyth
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438900.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Nottinghamshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above..
- This page was last modified on 19 July 2014, at 05:06.
- This page has been accessed 2,008 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki