Boxley, KentEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Boxley, Kent family history and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Boxley All Saints Kent
|Poor Law Union||Hollingbourne PLU|
|Parish registers: 1558|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1560|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Canterbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent Record Office|
BOXLEY (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Hollingbourne, hundred of Maidstone, lathe of Aylesford, W. division of Kent, 2¼ miles (N. E. by N.) from Maidstone. 
Boxley is a village and civil parish in the Maidstone district of Kent, see Boxley Wikipedia
Boxley St Mary and All Saints is an Ancient Parish in the Diocese of Canterbury, nowadays united with Detling, Kent in the Boxley with Detling benefice.
The Parish church of Boxley St Mary and All Saints, The Street, Boxley has been designated as a grade I listed building British listed building
Boxley includes an open air museum Kent Life Wikipedia; amongst the buildings on the site the former tin chapel from Cuxton, Kent has been re-erected since 2000 when a modern replacement was built in that village.
This parish was in the Hollingbourne registration district See Maidstone Registration District
Kent County Council (KCC) has a certificate centre at the Mansion House in Tunbridge Wells which holds all the completed registers for Kent since 1 July 1837 and can supply a certified copy of any Kent birth, death or marriage entry from any register within its custody or a Kent civil partnership registration from the government online database.
The Mansion House
Grove Hill Road
Kent TN1 1EP
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Boxley, Kent parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FMP = FindMyPast - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS PRs = England, Kent, Parish Registers (FamilySearch) - free|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|MIDK = Mid-Kent Marriage Index 1754-1911 - free|
|Boxley, Kent Parish Online Records|
|FS PRs||1754-1900 (banns)|
Images for Boxley available at FamilySearch Records see England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments (FamilySearch Historical Records) 1780-1832
Census returns for Boxley 1841-1891 The Catalogue contains an erroneous heading 1851-1891 but includes 1841 census microfilm number
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition
Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable)
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre
- FHC Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate (FamilySearch Historical Records) and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments (FamilySearch Historical Records) means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these collections using the portal.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 320-323. Date accessed: 08 July 2013.
- ↑ 'Coverage of Kent parish baptism records', Find My Past, accessed 5 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Coverage of Kent parish marriage records', Find My Past, accessed 6 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Coverage of Kent parish burial records', Find My Past, accessed 5 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Kent Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 6 November 2013.
- ↑ 'England, Kent, Parish Registers, 1538-1911,' FamilySearch, accessed 12 November 2013.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Kent, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 15 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Mid-Kent Marriage Index 1754-1911,' Woodchurch Ancestry Group, accessed 16 January 2014.
- This page was last modified on 1 June 2014, at 13:26.
- This page has been accessed 4,890 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki