Boyd County, KentuckyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Boyd County Kentucky ancestry, family history, and genealogy research page. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, military records, and immigration records.
|Boyd County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||February 16, 1860|
Boyd County Kentucky Courthouse
2800 Louisa Street
Catlettsburg, KY 41229
Boyd County Kentucky History
There has been no changes to Boyd County boundaries since it was created. For animated maps illustrating Kentucky county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Kentucky County Boundary Maps" (1776-1939) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Kentucky counties see: Kentucky Counties with Burned Courthouses
Boyd County Kentucky Places / Localities
|Big Sandy Junction||Fairview||Millseat||Savage Branch|
Boyd County Kentucky Genealogy Resources
Biographies, Family Histories/Trees, GEDCOM files etc.
- KY Biographies ~ Jeff Murphy's Kentucky Biographies Project
- Biographies for Boyd County Kentucky at Genealogy Trails History Group
Kentucky cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation. Local volunteers through Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness may take photographs of headstones found in county cemeteries.
- Boyd County Kentucky Cemeteries and Tombstones [may need to scroll down the page to see]
- Klaiber Cemetery scroll down page to see list of burials.
- Cemetery Transcriptions for Boyd County, Kentucky at Genealogy Trails History Group
- Boyd County KYGenWeb Cemetery Project
- Catlettsburg Cemetery at Interment.net
- Boyd County Kentucky Cemetery Records at Access Genealogy
- The Tombstone Transcription Project-Boyd County
- Kentucky Historical Society Cemetery Search can be searched by name, place and/or date. This database has hundreds of thousands of names transcribed from gravestones across Kentucky.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A rave also gives a list of cemeteries in Boyd County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Boyd Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- TheFamilySearch Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Boyd County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Boyd County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
For tips on accessing Boyd County, Kentucky census records online, see: Kentucky Census.
- Boyd County, Kentucky USGenweb Archives-Census
Census online-Boyd Co.,Kentucky
- Eastern Kentucky Genealogy-Boyd County, Kentucky Poor House 1870
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Kentucky denominations, view the Kentucky Church Records wiki page.
LDS Ward Branch Records
- Kentucky Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel
- Catholic Parishes in the Diocese of Lexington
- Catholic Parishes in the Archdiocese of Louisville
- Abstracts of Early KY Court Cases Abstracts of Early Supreme Court Cases ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky Court of Justice Research & Reference
- [Clay] Smith, Zachary F. and Mary Rogers Clay. The Clay Family. Louisville, Ky.: John P. Morton and Company, 1899. Digital version at Internet Archive - free.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Kentucky Land and Property for additional information about early Kentucky land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Boyd County, Kentucky. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Kentucky Local Histories.
- Boyd County, Kentucky USGenweb Archives-History
- Wikipedia-Boyd County, Kentucky
- The Archives of Appalachia
- Boyd County, Kentucky USGenweb Archives-Military
- Boyd County, Kentucky USGenweb Archives-World War I Memorial
- Military Resources ~ Revolutionary War through Civil War
- Korean War Memorial Korean War Memorial for Soliders from KY ~ KYGenWeb
- Kentucky Genealogy Trails-Military Records for Boyd County Kentucky
Regiments. Service men in Boyd County, Kentucky served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Boyd County, Kentucky:
- - 14th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Company C.
- - 27th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Company I.
- - 39th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Company E.
- - 40th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Company D.
- - 45th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Companies A, B, C, D, E, F and G.
- KY Postcards Kentucky Postcards ~ The USGenWeb Archives Penny Postcard Project
- The KYGenWeb Footsteps ~ The Kentucky Footsteps Archives ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Boyd County, Kentucky USGenweb Archives Newspapers
- Kentucky News - Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Another Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Kentucky Newspapers on Microfilm - Kentucky Newspapers Available On Microfilm
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Boyd County, Kentucky newspapers in online catalogs like:
- KY Footsteps Archives ~ KY Footsteps List Archives - thousands of obituaries here ~ KYGenWeb Project
- KY Obituary Sources ~ Kentucky Obituary Sources ~ Compiled by the KYGenWeb Project
- Links to research and locate obituaries
- Browning Genealogy Database ~ The Browning Genealogy Database - A Collection of Obituaries Compiled by Charles Browning.
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Kentucky Obituary Project
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Kentucky Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Nashville Advocate ~ Death Abstracts from the Nashville Christian Advocate
- Web: Boyd County, Kentucky, Ashland Daily Independent Obituary Index, 1922-1945, 1970-1973, 1998-2010 at Ancestry.com ($)
Probate records are held by the Boyd County, Kentucky Clerk of Court and are housed at the Boyd County, Kentucky Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Kentucky, Probate Records, 1792-1977. See the wiki page Kentucky Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
- 1860-1962 - Will Books 1860 to 1962 have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
- Search Tax, Criminal, Land and Wills Records ~ Ancestry.com (subscription)
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more background information and state-wide resources see the wiki page Kentucky Taxation.
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Although Kentucky enacted a statute in 1852-1862 requiring registration of births and deaths,many counties did not comply. A second law was written in 1874-1879, and 1892-1910 but, again, was not always followed. By 1911, the law was more clearly defined and kept by 1920. Any existing births 1852-1960 and death records 1852-1953 can be accessed online. See How to Find Kentucky Birth Records and How to Find Kentucky Death Records for links to indexes and images.
Original marriage records are held at the office of the Boyd County, Kentucky Clerk, with divorce records 1849-1958 located with the Boyd County, Kentucky Circuit Court. For more information see How to Find Kentucky Marriage Records. For Kentucky divorce records see the wiki page Kentucky Vital Records.
- 1859 - Boyd County Birth Index 1859. Batch C517101 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875 - Boyd County Birth Index 1875. Batch C517102 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875 - Boyd County Marriage Index 1875. Batch M517103 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1877-1878 - Boyd County Marriage Index 1877-1878. Batch M517104 at FamilySearch - free.
- Boyd County, Kentucky USGenweb Archives- Deaths
- Boyd County, Kentucky USGenweb Archives-Marriages
- (Boyd County Kentucky) Marriages
- (Boyd County Kentucky) Negro Marriages
- Boyd County Marriage Index 1907
- The Kentucky Vital Records Project Transcriptions of and Images of KY Death Certificates - A Work in Progress ~ The KY Vital Records Project
- KY Births & Christenings ~ Kentucky Births and Christenings, 1839-1960 Family Search
- KY Deaths & Burials ~ KY Deaths & Burials 1843 - 1970
- KY Marriage Records ~ KY Marriages 1783 - 1979 ~ Family Search
- Searchable KY Vital Records ~ Searchable databases of KY Births, Deaths & Marriages
- Kentucky Marriage Records 1973 - 2000 ~ Kentucky Marriage Records - 1973 - 2000
- KY Divorces 1973 - 1993 ~ Kentucky Divorce Records 1973 - 1993 ~ University of Kentucky Vital Records Databases
- The Social Security Death Index The Social Security Death Index - Searchable
Boyd County Kentucky Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- List of Kentucky Archives, Libraries, Publications, Historical & Genealogical Societies
- Boyd County Public Library
- Boyd County Historical Society
2734 Jackson Avenue
Ashland KY 41101
- Catlettsburg Historical Society
3420 Spring Street
Catlettsburg KY 41129
- Links and addresses to Kentucky genealogical and historical societies
Family History Centers
Boyd County Kentucky Genealogy Websites
- Boyd County, KY History, Records, Facts and Genealogy (Genealogy Inc)
- Boyd County at Kentucky Kinfolk
- USGenWeb Archives-Boyd County Ky
- KYGenWeb project. Has maps, name indexes, history or other information for each county. Select the county.
- State of Kencucky Website
- USGenWeb Kentucky Archives ~ Kentucky in the USGenWeb Archives ~ Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
-  USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Boyd County, KY at Genealogy Trails History Group
- FamilySearch Catalog
- USGenWeb Archives-Boyd County Ky
- Boyd County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
Boyd County Kentucky Genealogy References
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Boyd County, Kentucky page 268, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/f/f1/Igikentuckyaf.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 10 November 2014, at 22:05.
- This page has been accessed 20,506 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page