Branscombe, DevonEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Branscombe, Devon family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Honiton PLU|
|Parish registers: 1539|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1607|
|Probate Court||A Peculiar of the Court of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter|
|Location of Archive|
|Devon Record Office|
BRANSCOMBE (St. Winifred), a parish, in the union of Honiton, hundred of Colyton, Honiton and S. divisions of Devon, 4¾ miles (E.) from Sidmouth.
Births, marriages and deaths were kept by the government from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Branscombe, Devon parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BRAN = Branscombe Project - free|
|IARC = Internet Archive - free|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|PALL = Pallot's Marriage Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|Branscombe, Devon Parish Online Records|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241307.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Devon Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Valuable web sites are:
- 1851 Jurisdiction Maps
- Vision of Britain
The Branscombe Project www.branscombeproject.org.uk is a cooperative effort between the Devon County Council and the residents of Branscombe to showcase their village. Included in the website is a complete transcription of the Branscombe St. Winifred's parish records from 1539 to 2002.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 347-350. Date accessed and adapted: 24 October 2013.
- ↑ 'Branscombe Parish Registers,' Branscombe Project, accessed 12 February 2014.
- ↑ Roger Granville and W.E. Mugford, Abstracts of the Existing Transcripts of the Lost Parish-Registers of Devon, 1596-1644 (Exeter: William Pollard and Co. Ltd., 1908). Digitised by Internet Archive.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Devon, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 12 February 2014.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes (n.p.: n.p., n.d.). FHL British Book 942 V25pm
- This page was last modified on 29 April 2014, at 04:17.
- This page has been accessed 1,005 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki