Brazil BiographyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
A biography is a history of a person’s life. In a biography you may find the individual’s birth, marriage, and death information and the names of his or her parents, children, or other family members. Use the information carefully because there may be inaccuracies.
There are very few biographical sources for Brazil. Many brief biographies have been gathered and published in collective biographies such as biographical encyclopedias or dictionaries. These usually include only biographies of prominent citizens of Brazil.
Significant biographical publications are:
- Branches, Victor. Dicionário Biobibliográfico Luso-Brasileiro (Luso-Brazilian Bio- Bibliographical Dictionary). Rio de Janeiro: Editora Fundo de Cultura, 1965. (FHL book 981 D3br)
- Coutinho, Afrânio. Brasil e brasileiros de hoje (Brazil and Brazilians of Today). Rio de Janeiro: Editorial Sul Americana, 1961. (FHL book 981 D3c)
- Personalidades no Brasil (Personalities of Brazil). São Paulo: The British Chamber of Commerce of São Paulo & Southern Brazil, (1932?). (FHL book 981 D3p; film 1162486 item 16)
A major collection of Brazilian biographies is:
- Macedo, Joaquim Manoel de. Brazilian Biographical Annual. Rio de Janeiro: Imperial Instituto Artístico, 1876. (FHL book 981 D3m; films 0496911–0496912 item 1)
Collective biographies at the Family History Library are generally listed in the "Locality Search" section of the Family History Library Catalog under:
BRAZIL - BIOGRAPHY
BRAZIL, [STATE] - BIOGRAPHY
BRAZIL, [STATE], [CITY] - BIOGRAPHY
You will also find some biographical information in Brazilian encyclopedias.
- This page was last modified on 10 August 2008, at 07:16.
- This page has been accessed 1,165 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More