Brazos Indian Agency (Texas)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency
The Texas Agency was established in 1847, with responsibility for all of the Indians of Texas. In 1855, two reservations were established in Texas and an agent was assigned to each.
The Brazos Agency served the Indians along the main fork of the Brazos River, near Fort Belknap in Young County. The tribes involved were the Caddo, Anadarko, Tonkawa, Tawakoni, Kichai, Delaware, and Shawnee. The Comanche Agency served the Southern Band of Comanche on the Clear Fork of the Brazos River, about 35 miles southwest of Belknap.
Correspondence regarding the Brazos Agency, 1855-1859, is included in Letters received by the Office of Indian Affairs from the Texas Agency, 1847-1859, have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of their Microcopy Number M234, Rolls 858-861. Copies are available at the National Archives and at the Family History Library and its family history centers (their microfilm roll numbers 1661588 thru 1661591). Correspondence after 1859 concerning the settlement of Indian affairs in Texas is filed under "Wichita."
- ↑ Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974, p. 179.
- ↑ American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998, Microcopy M234, p. 8.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- "Accompanying Pamphlet for Microcopy 1011", National Archives Microfilm Publications, Appendix.
- This page was last modified on 16 September 2011, at 07:10.
- This page has been accessed 877 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More