Breage, CornwallEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Breage, Cornwall family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
BREAGE (St. Breage), a parish, in the union of Helston, W. division of the hundred of Kerrier and of the county of Cornwall, 3 miles (W. by N.) from Helston. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and other denominations of Methodists.
England Jurisdictions 1851 may be used to locate nearby parishes by clicking the "Options" tab and selecting "List contiguous parishes."
Births, marriages and deaths were kept by the government from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Breage, Cornwall parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Breage, Cornwall Parish Online Records|
||1559-1900; 1823-1888 (banns)||
Records deposited cover 1559-1995, these registers are kept at the County Record Office, County Hall, Truro TR1 3AY.
The Family History Library has microfilmed parish registers from 1559-1995, parish register transcripts and bishop’s transcripts from 1559-1837.
Images of parish registers are available online at FamilySearchunder Records. Images refer to Cornwall County Record Office reference: P18.
Census records from 1841-1891 are available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241260. To view these census images online, they are available through the following websites for a fee ($) or free:
- FamilySearch has some of the British Censuses available.
- FindMyPast ($) has all available census records including images, and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and some public and academic libraries.
- Ancestry.co.uk ($) has now all available census records but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and at numerous public and academic libraries. The library versions are known as AncestryInstitution.com.
- The Genealogist.co.uk ($) has all available censuses and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- FreeCen is a UK census searches. It is not complete and individuals are always asked to consider helping out with transcriptions.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cornwall Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Valuable web sites are:
Add here any relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- ↑ Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 350-353. Date accessed: 11 March 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Coverage by Parish,' Cornwall Online Parish Clerks, accessed 2 December 2013.
- ↑ 'Database Coverage,' Cornwall Parish Register Index, accessed 1 February 2014.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Baptisms', Find My Past, accessed 22 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Marriages', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Burials', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ Cornwall Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 18 November 2013.
- ↑ 'England, Cornwall and Devon Parish Registers, 1538-2010', FamilySearch, accessed 26 November 2013.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Cornwall, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 22 November 2013.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- This page was last modified on 1 February 2014, at 17:46.
- This page has been accessed 1,128 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More