Bredbury, CheshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Bredbury, Cheshire family history and genealogy: parish registers (baptism, christening, marriage, and burial records), civil registration (birth, marriage, and death records), census records, history, wills, cemetery, online transcriptions and indexes, an interactive map and websites.
Bredbury is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cheshire, created in 1846 from Stockport [St Mary] Ancient Parish.
BREDBURY, is a township-chapelry in Stockport parish, Cheshire; it is adjacent to the Peak Forest canal, 2 miles ENE of Stockport railway station. The post town is, Stockport. There is an Independent chapel.
Census records from 1841-1891 are available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241242. To view these census images online, they are available through the following websites for a fee ($) or free:
- FamilySearch has some of the British Censuses available.
- FindMyPast ($) has all available census records including images, and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and some public and academic libraries.
- Ancestry.co.uk ($) has now all available census records but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and at numerous public and academic libraries. The library versions are known as AncestryInstitution.com.
- The Genealogist.co.uk ($) has all available censuses and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- FreeCen is a UK census searches. It is not complete and individuals are always asked to consider helping out with transcriptions.
Bredbury St Mark parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials have been indexed by the following groups:
|FS PR's =FamilySearch Parish Registers|
|FS BT's = FamilySearch Bishops Transcripts|
|Bredbury St Mark Parish (1817) Online Records|
|FS PR's|| 1817-1912
|FS BT'S||1879-1892|| NONE
Here is a list of Bredbury parish registers on microfilm at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City.
Parish registers, Cheshire Record Office: P258/4867/1-3, 23-25; P258/1/1-12.
|Parish registers for Bredbury, 1847-1981||Film|
| Baptisms, 1847-1945. Marriages, 1849-Sep. 1872.
||2186908 Items 2 - 7|
| Marriages, Sep. 1872-Aug. 1903.
|| 2186909 |
| Marriages, Aug. 1903-1953. Burials, 1848-May 1964.
|| 2186910 |
| Burials, Nov. 1963-1981.
|| 2186911 Item 1|
Bishop's transcripts, Cheshire Record Office: EDB 33
|Bishop's transcripts for Bredbury, 1879-1892||Film|
| Baptisms, burials, 1879-1888, 1890-1892.
||1647366 Item 2|
| Another filming, 1990.
||1656840 Item 2|
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from 1 July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. Here are two excellent Internet sites with birth, marriage and death indexes available:
- Stockport (1837-1936)
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cheshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
- ↑ Wilson, John Marius,Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72). Date accessed: 8 February 2013.
- This page was last modified on 27 November 2013, at 21:10.
- This page has been accessed 531 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More