Brevard County, FloridaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Brevard County, Florida ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Brevard County, Florida|
Location in the state of Florida
Location of Florida in the U.S.
|Founded||January 6, 1844|
Brevard County Courthouse
400 S Street
Titusville, FL 32780
Formerly St. Lucie County Name changed to Brevard 6 Jan 1855
Clerk Circuit Court has marriage records from 1868,
land records from 1871, divorce and court records from 1879,
probate records from 1917 and military discharge records from 1919;
County Health Department Superintendent has death rec from 1985
and birth records; some records prior to 1885 destroyed
1844--Brevard County was created from Mosquito County and was first called St. Lucie. It was renamed to Brevard County 6 January 1855. Mosquito County was renamed to Orange County in 1845.
County seat: Titusville 
For animated maps illustrating Florida county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Florida County Boundary Maps" (1821-1997) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Some records prior to 1885 have been destroyed. For a list of record loss in Florida counties see: Florida Counties with Burned Courthouses
Places / Localities
For tips on accessing Brevard County, Florida census records online, see: Florida Census.
The 1885 Florida State Population Census includes sex, age, relationship, occupation, place of birth of each family member and parents. Also census for agriculture, manufacture and mortality.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Florida denominations, view the Florida Church Records wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Florida Land and Property for additional information about early Florida land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Brevard County, Florida. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Florida Local Histories.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Brevard County, Florida newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records are held by the Brevard County, Florida Clerk of Court and are housed at the Brevard County, Florida Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Florida Probate Records, 1784-1990. See the wiki page Florida Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Florida Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Florida Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online. See also How to order Florida Vital Records
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Florida.
- 1870-1948 - Brevard County Birth Index 1870-1948. Batch C735127 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1870-1948 - Brevard County Birth Index 1870-1948. Batch C736816 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1870-1948 - Brevard County Birth Index 1870-1948. Batch C736638 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1868-1902 - Brevard County Marriage Index 1868-1902. Batch M735103 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1869-1885 - Brevard County Marriage Index 1869-1885. Batch M512981 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1886-1891 - Brevard County Marriage Books 2 and 3 Index 1886-1891. Batch M734896 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1886-1918 - Brevard County Marriage Books 2 and 3 Index 1886-1918. Batch M734898 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1902-1913 - Brevard County Marriage Index 1902-1913. Batch M735004 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1913-1918 - Brevard County Marriage Index 1913-1918. Batch M735124 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1918-1921 - Brevard County Marriage Index 1918-1921. Batch M736328 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1918-1931 - Brevard County Marriage Books 4 and 5 Index 1918-1931. Batch M734846 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1918-1931 - Brevard County Marriage Books 4 and 5 Index 1918-1931. Batch M734844 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1921-1924 - Brevard County Marriage Index 1921-1924. Batch M735372 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1923-1924 - Brevard County Marriage Index 1923-1924. Batch M735043 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1924-1925 - Brevard County Marriage Index 1924-1925. Batch M735019 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1925-1926 - Brevard County Marriage Index 1925-1926. Batch M735125 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1926-1927 - Brevard County Marriage Index 1926-1927. Batch M735002 at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
Brevard Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 1123
Cocoa, FL 32923-1123
Genealogical Society of North Brevard
P.O. Box 897
Titusville, FL 32781-0897
Genealogical Society of South Brevard
P.O. Box 786
Melbourne, FL 32902-0786
Family History Centers
|Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.|
- Brevard County, FL History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Florida Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Florida Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- The USGenWeb Project: The FLGenWeb Project: Brevard County
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Brevard County, Florida Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Brevard County, FLGenWeb Project, Inc.
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Brevard County, Florida. Page 133 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 3.12 3.13 3.14 3.15 3.16 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/54/Igiflorida.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 20 November 2014, at 20:42.
- This page has been accessed 5,898 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page