Brimscombe, GloucestershireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Brimscombe, Gloucestershire family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Stroud PLU|
|Parish registers: 1841|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1841|
|Diocese||Gloucester and Bristol|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Gloucestershire Record Office|
BRIMSCOMB-PORT, an ecclesiastical parish, in the parish of Minchin-Hampton, union of Stroud ,hundred of Bisley, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 2 miles (S. S. E.) from Stroud; comprising the hamlets of Chalford, Hyde, Burley, Brimscomb, and Cowcombe. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (FindMyPast) (£)|
|BRIMSCOMBE PARISH Online Records|
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Non Conformist Churches
Census records from 1841-1891 are available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. To view these census images online, they are available through a number of websites for a fee ($) or free.
- FamilySearch now has all of the British Censuses available.
- FindMyPast ($) but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- Ancestry.co.uk ($) but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries. The library versions are known as AncestryInstitution.com.
- The Genealogist.co.uk ($) but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- FreeCen is a UK census searches. It is not complete and individuals are always asked to consider helping out with transcriptions.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Gloucestershire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 375-379. Date accessed: 07 May 2013.
- ↑ 'Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county,' Origins.net, accessed 1 December 2012.
- This page was last modified on 29 April 2014, at 04:54.
- This page has been accessed 765 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki