Bristol County, Rhode IslandEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Bristol County, Rhode Island ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Bristol County, Rhode Island|
Location in the state of Rhode Island
|Named for: Bristol, Gloucestershire, England|
Bristol County Courthouse
1 Dorrance Plaza;
Warren, RI 02885-4369
There is no Co Clk in Bristol Co; Twn & City Clks have
birth, marriage, death and probate records;
Clerk District Court has court records
Four twns in Bristol County)
Towns Organized Before 1800: Barrington 1717, Bristol 1681, Warren 1746-7
There is no county government. Government level is at town and state levels.
For animated maps illustrating Rhode Island County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Rhode Island County Boundary Maps" (1643-1963) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
- Lost census: 1890
Records are kept at the town level. Please research at that level.
Places / Localities
The preceding list of places includes incorporated cities and towns, unincorporated towns and communities, and place names that may have been used in family histories. Some have well-organized records and even have web sites. Some are simply social communities with no official records, but which may be referenced in small-town newspapers. The list is provided to help researchers identify localities within the county. As records or histories of these localities are identified, a page will be added for each of these place names.
Archives and Libraries
- History of Asylums Genealogy Trails
For tips on accessing Bristol County, Rhode Island census records online, see: Rhode Island Census.
Church History and Records
- RI Bristol County Rootsweb (subscription required)
- Genealogy Queries Cousinconnect
- Bristol County Message Board Rootsweb/Ancestry Login required to post
- GenForum Login required to post
- Sowams: with ancient records of Sowams and parts adjacent; illustrated. Warren is current name for Sowams. FHL Collection
- Building histories
- Landmark sites LandmarkHunter
Land and Property
Military History and Records
- Newspaper account, 1823 Genealogy Trails
World War I
- World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 Ancestry ($)
- Awards of Distinguished Service Cross Medal Genealogy Trails
World War II
- Army Enlistments A-L Genealogy Trails
- Army Enlistments M-Z Genealogy Trails
- Honor List of Dead and Missing and Army Air Force Personnel Genealogy Trails
- Honor List of Dead and Missing and Army Air Force Personnel Access Genealogy
- List of Military personnel who died from hostile action, including missing and captured, 1950-1957 Genealogy Trails
- Casualties, Including Missing and Captured Declared Dead, 1957-1995 Genealogy Trails
Mines, Mining and Mineral Resources
- Mining Sites Mindat.org
- Marriage Announcements Genealogy Trails
See also How to order Rhode Island Vital Records, order electronically online or download an application for Rhode Island Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Societies, Libraries and Museums
Family History Centers
|Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.|
- Bristol County, RI History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Rhode Island Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Rhode Island Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Genealogy Trails
- The Bristol County RIGenWeb Project, part of The RIGenWeb Project
- The USGenWeb Archives Project
- The USGenWeb Archives Project back up site
- FamilySearch.org FamilySearch Catalog for Bristol County.
- This page was last modified on 27 January 2015, at 21:15.
- This page has been accessed 15,916 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More