Brooke, HampshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Brooke, Hampshire family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Hundred||West Medina Liberty|
|Poor Law Union||Isle of Wight PLU|
|Registration District||Isle of Wight|
|Parish registers: 1653|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1780|
|Rural Deanery||West Medine|
|Probate Court||Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and Archdeaconry of Winchester|
|Location of Archive|
|Hampshire Record Office|
BROOK, also known as Brooke, a parish in the Isle of Wight; on the SW coast, 2½ miles WNW of Brixton. Post Town, Brixton, under Newport. The church is a very late uninteresting structure, picturesquely situated; and was gutted by fire in December, 1862..
| This section requires expansion with:
a summary overview of the history of this parish.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Brooke parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|PRTS = The Parish Register Transcription Society - (£)|
|BROOKE PARISH Online Records|
||1654-1659, 1695-1753, 1784-1797||
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 288805.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Hampshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it.|
- ↑ John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870. Date accessed: 19 June 2013.
- ↑ 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 24 September 2013.
- ↑ 'Hampshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 23 September 2013.
- ↑ 'IGI Batch Numbers for Hampshire, England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 8 October 2013.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - Coverage', The Parish Register Transcription Society, accessed 30 September 2013.
- This page was last modified on 29 April 2014, at 05:34.
- This page has been accessed 2,846 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki