Broughton, Staffordshire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Broughton, Staffordshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
For other places with the same name see Broughton
|Poor Law Union||Stone PLU|
|Parish registers: 1838|
|Bishop's Transcripts: None|
|Probate Court||Court of the Peculiar of Eccleshall|
|Location of Archive|
|Staffordshire Record Office|
BROUGHTON, a chapelry, in the parish of Eccleshall, union of Stone, N. division of the hundred of Pirehill and of the county of Stafford, 5¼ miles (N. W. by W.) from Eccleshall. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Broughton St Peter was formed in1787 from the parish of Eccleshall, Staffordshire and parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FMP = Staffordshire Parish Register Collection (findmypast) - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free FREG - Search under Eccleshall|
|BROUGHTON ST PETER PARISH (1787) Online Records|
Deposited parish registers at Staffordshire Record Office Bap 1885-1993 Mar 1838-1863, 1907-1999 Bur 1885-1993
Lichfield Record Office has no holdings of Bishop's Transcripts
- 1532/3 - A List of Families in Broughton, Staffordshire Genealogy 1532/3 FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474620.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- The Birmingham and Midland Society: Covers Staffordshire, Warwickshire and Worcestershire
- Staffordshire History: Maintained by the Community Council of Staffordshire
- Staffordshire Record Society
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 409-412. Date accessed: 16 October 2012.
- ↑ 'Staffordshire Parish Records Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 21 August 2014.
- ↑ 'Staffordshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 26 May 2014.
- ↑ Ann J. Kettle, A List of Families in the Archdeaconry of Stafford, 1532-3 (Stafford: Staffordshire Record Society, 1976). FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
- This page was last modified on 28 April 2015, at 03:05.
- This page has been accessed 2,756 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More