Buffalo County, Wisconsin GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Buffalo County Wisconsin ancestry, family history, and genealogy research page. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Buffalo County, Wisconsin|
Location of Wisconsin in the U.S.
|Founded||July 6, 1853|
|Address|| Buffalo County Courthouse|
407 S. 2nd Street
Alma WI 54610
- Buffalo City
- Fountain City
For animated maps illustrating Wisconsin County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Wisconsin County Boundary Maps" (1790-1961) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
- Biographical Index: HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY, WISCONSIN, 1888 USGenWeb Archives
- HISTORY OF BUFFALO COUNTY, WISCONSIN, 1888
- Buffalo County Cemeteries USGenWeb
- Buffalo County Tombstone Photograph Pages So far this USGenWeb project has photographed only the Riverside Lutheran Cemetery and the Sacred Heart Cemetery, both in Mondovi.
- 1855 Wisconsin State Census This census includes name of head of family; other individuals in the household are identified by sex and race, number of deaf and dumb, blind, insane and foreign born.
- 1865 Wisconsin State Census Name index and images of the 1865 State Census which names the head of household. Most records have been destroyed but schedules exist for the following counties: Dunn, Green, Jackson, Kewaunee, Ozaukee, and Sheboygan.
- 1875 Wisconsin State Census Identifies head of household by name.
- 1885 Wisconsin State Census Search indexed census. Identifies by name of head of household. Other information is statistical and identifies the rest of the household by race, gender and country of birth.
- 1895 Wisconsin State Census Index and images. Identifies head of household by name. Other information is statistical.
- 1905 Wisconsin State Census Name index and images of population. Enumerates by name all inhabitants.
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, Buffalo County, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com. ($).
St. John's Lutheran Church, Alma
- Records of St. John's Lutheran Church, Alma, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com. ($).
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic and Religious Groups
Land and Property
- Indexes to deeds and mortgages (1854-1892) and deeds (1854-1887), Buffalo County, Wisconsin. Original records at the Buffalo County Courthouse in Alma, Wisconsin
- Land Patents Database: Buffalo County USGenWeb Archives
- Old Antique Atlases & Maps of Wisconsin
- Family Maps of Buffalo County, Wisconsin (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
Civil War service men from Buffalo County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are many companies or regiments that were formed from men of Buffalo County.
- - 2nd Regiment, Wisconsin Cavalry, Company L
- - 6th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Company H
- - 9th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Company F
- - 9th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry Reorganized, Company C
- - 14th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Company I
- 1883 List of Pensioners or Dependents, Buffalo County USGenWeb Archives
World War I (The Great War), 1914-1918
World War II, 1941-1945
- Buffalo County Army Enlistees, Surnames Abts-Mulyck USGenWeb Archives
- Buffalo County Army Enlistees, Surnames Neis-Zittel USGenWeb Archives
Naturalization and Citizenship
- Naturalization records (ca. 1853-1906) and naturalization card index (ca. 1858-1950), ca. 1853-1950 Viewable on line. Includes card index; most volumes include individual indexes as well.
- Alma Obituaries Index WIGenWeb Project
- Links to Obituaries Charles Ebersold, Barbara Heller, John Ebersold, John Kostner, Roscoe Maynard McQuiston, and Margaret Ebersold McClellan - USGenWeb Archives
- Probate file index (ca. 1854-1980) and probate files (ca. 1854-1900), ca. 1854-1980 Microreproduction of original records at the Buffalo County courthouse in Alma, Wisconsin. Files contain legal papers filed in probate proceedings, including estate, guardianship, adoption, and insanity records. Includes index.
- 1800 – 1987 Wisconsin Wills and Probate Records 1800-1987 at Ancestry.com — images and index $
- 1848 – 1948 Wisconsin Probate Estate Files 1848-1948 at FamilySearch — images
- Inventory of the county archives of Wisconsin no. 6, Buffalo County (Alma) Viewable on line. Includes chronological & subject indexes. Also available as Digital Images
Buffalo County Historical Society
407 South Second Street, second floor
PO Box 394
Alma, Wisconsin 54610
Alma Historical Society
505 S 2nd St
Alma, WI 54610
Fountain City Area Historical Society
PO Box 114
Fountain City, WI 54629
Mondovi Area Historical Society
250 S Washington St
Mondovi, WI 54755
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
Buffalo County Clerk
407 S. 2nd Street
Alma WI 54610
- 1826-1926 Wisconsin, Births and Christenings, 1826-1926 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1820-1907 Wisconsin, Birth Index, 1820-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1826-1908 Wisconsin, Births and Christenings Index, 1826-1908 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1836-1930 Wisconsin, Marriages, 1836-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1973-1997 Wisconsin, Marriage Index, 1973-1997 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1973-1997 Wisconsin Marriages, 1973-1997 at Ancestry.com — index/images $
- 1867-1907 Wisconsin, Death Records, 1867-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1835-1968 Wisconsin, Deaths and Burials, 1835-1968 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1820-1907 Wisconsin, Death Index, 1820-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1959-1997 Wisconsin, Death Index, 1959-1997 at FamilySearch.org — index
- Buffalo County, WI History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Wisconsin Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Wisconsin Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- GenWeb project.
- USGenWeb Archives
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002)Buffalo County, Wisconsin, p.755
- This page was last modified on 10 February 2016, at 18:57.
- This page has been accessed 19,938 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News