Buffalo County, WisconsinEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Buffalo County Wisconsin genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Buffalo County, Wisconsin|
Location of Wisconsin in the U.S.
|Founded||July 6, 1853|
|Address|| Buffalo County Courthouse|
407 S. 2nd Street
Alma WI 54610
- Buffalo City
- Fountain City
For animated maps illustrating Wisconsin County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Wisconsin County Boundary Maps" (1790-1961) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Wisconsin Counties see: Wisconsin Counties with Burned Courthouses
- 1855 Wisconsin State Census— Free indexed Internet the 1855 Wisconsin State Census can be searched on the FamilySearch Record Search This census includes name of head of family, individuals in the household by sex and race, number of deaf and dumb, blind, insane and foreign born.
- 1885 Wisconsin State Census
FamilySearch Record Search Search indexed census. Identifies by name of head of household. Other information is statistical and identifies the rest of the household by race, gender and country of birth.
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, Buffalo County, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
St. John's Lutheran Church, Alma
- Records of St. John's Lutheran Church, Alma, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic and Religious Groups
Land and Property
- Indexes to deeds and mortgages (1854-1892) and deeds (1854-1887) [Buffalo County, Wisconsin] Original records at the Buffalo County Courthouse in Alma, Wisconsin
- Old Antique Atlases & Maps of Wisconsin
- Family Maps of Buffalo County, Wisconsin (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
Civil War service men from Buffalo County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are many companies or regiments that were formed from men of Buffalo County.
- - 2nd Regiment, Wisconsin Cavalry, Company L.
World War I (The Great War), 1914-1918
World War II, 1941-1945
Naturalization and Citizenship
- Naturalization records (ca. 1853-1906) and naturalization card index (ca. 1858-1950), ca. 1853-1950 Viewable on line. Includes card index; most volumes include individual indexes as well.
- Probate file index (ca. 1854-1980) and probate files (ca. 1854-1900), ca. 1854-1980 Microreproduction of original records at the Buffalo County courthouse in Alma, Wisconsin. Files contain legal papers filed in probate proceedings, including estate, guardianship, adoption, and insanity records. Includes index.
- Inventory of the county archives of Wisconsin no. 6, Buffalo County (Alma) Viewable on line. Includes chronological & subject indexes. Also available as Digital Images
Family History Centers
Buffalo County Courthouse
407 S. 2nd Street
Alma WI 54610
Register of Deeds has birth, marriage, death, burial and
land records. Clerk of the Circuit Court has divorce and court
records. Register of Probate has probate records
- Buffalo County, WI History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Wisconsin Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Wisconsin Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002)Buffalo County, Wisconsin, p.755
- This page was last modified on 19 July 2014, at 04:53.
- This page has been accessed 11,512 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki