Buncombe County, North CarolinaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Buncombe County North Carolina genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Buncombe County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
1830, 1865--The courthouse fires destroyed many court records.
BillionGraves (Headstone photos, Google maps, searchable database both by cemetery and sitewide):
- Patton Cemetery, Swannatoa
- Western North Carolina State Veterans Cemetery, Black Mountain
- Woodlawn Cemetery, Ashville
For tips on accessing Buncombe County, North Carolina census records online, see: North Carolina Census.
- French Broad River, near Mills River, N.C. Organized before 1792. Later located in Henderson County.
Civil action papers, 1808-1889. (Free) Browse online at FamilySearch Historical Collections.
- Black Mountain College collection - repository of publications and records of the college. Available via the North Carolina Digital Collections website.
- Montreat College Yearbooks: 1925-1959 -- free at the Internet Archive
- Buncombe County students at NC colleges - list via the NCGenWeb Yearbook Index
- [Gash] Rising, Marsha Hoffman. "The Gash Family of Buncombe County, North Carolina: Who Was Ebenezer Gash of St. Clair County, Missouri?," The American Genealogist, Vol. 73, No. 2 (Apr. 1998):105-116. Digital version at American Ancestors ($).
Civil War Confederate units - Brief history, counties where recruited, etc.
- -1st Regiment, North Carolina Infantry, usually known as the Bethel Regiment.
- -11th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry
- 1831-1961 - Will Books A to GGG (1831-1961) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
- 1892-1909 - Asheville, Buncombe County Birth Index 1892-1909. Batch C737348 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1851-1961 - Buncombe County Marriage Index 1851-1961 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
- 1898-1909 - Asheville, Buncombe County Death Index 1898-1909. Batch C737348 at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Asheville and Buncombe County Weblog
- Buncombe County NC GenWeb
- Old Buncombe County Genealogical Society
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Buncombe County, North Carolina p. 507. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ "French Broad Baptist Church," North Carolina Highway Historical Marker Program, http://www.ncmarkers.com, accessed 22 October 2012; George Washington Paschal, History of North Carolina Baptists, 2 vols. (1930; reprint, Gallatin, Tenn.: Church History Research and Archives, 1990), 2:561. FHL Book 975.6 K2p 1990.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/4/4d/Iginorthcarolinaa.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 4 May 2013, at 14:37.
- This page has been accessed 7,429 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More