Burrishoole Civil Parish, County MayoEdit This Page

From FamilySearch Wiki

Ireland Gotoarrow.png Counties of Ireland Gotoarrow.png County Mayo Gotoarrow.png County Mayo Parishes Gotoarrow.png Burrishoole Civil Parish, County Mayo

The following information is a starting point for records about the civil parish of Burrishoole. The information is based on locations and records before 1922.

Contents

Historical Overview

History

BURRISHOOLE, a parish, in the barony of BURRISHOOLE, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT; containing, with the market and post-town of Newport-Pratt, 11,761 inhabitants. This place, from a bull of Pope Innocent VIII., dated February 9th, 1486, appears to have been distinguished as the seat of a monastery for friars of the Dominican order, founded by Richard de Bourke, Lord Mac William Oughter, head of the Turlough family, and dedicated to the Blessed Virgin. The monastery was granted to Nicholas Weston, who assigned it to Theobald, Viscount Costello-Galen; there are still some remains. The parish is situated on the north-east shore of Clew bay, and on the high road from Castlebar to Achill island: it comprises 12,550 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The lands are chiefly under tillage; and many of the islands in Clew bay, which are within the parish, afford good pasturage for sheep. There is a large tract of mountain and bog, about two-thirds of which are reclaimable. Salt-works were formerly carried on here. The principal inhabited islands are Mynishmore, Inish-na-crusna, Inish-cougha, Inishurken, Inishtubride, and Inishturk. There are two large lakes in the parish, called Lough Feagh and Lough Furnace; and on the narrow neck of land between these are the ruins of an old smelting furnace; there is also another at the old abbey. The river of Burrishoole, on which is an excellent salmon fishery, has its source in these lakes. The principal seats are Newport House, that of Sir R. Annesley O'Donell, Bart.; Newfield, of J. McLoughlin, Esq.; Seamount, of Connell O'Donnell, Esq.; Tymore, of J. T. S. Stuart, Esq.; Newfort, of J. Hilles, Esq.; and Abbeyville, of J. McDonnell, Esq.

The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Tuam, and in the patronage of the Archbishop: the tithes amount to £350. The church is a neat plain structure, for the repairs of which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £338. 9. 3. The glebe-house was built by aid of a gift of £400 and a loan of £360, in 1819, from the late Board of First Fruits: the glebe comprises 5la. 3r. 26p. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, andcontains two chapels, one at Newport-Pratt and the other at Newfield, both good slated buildings. There is a place of worship for Primitive Methodists, open each alternate Wednesday and Friday; and a Presbyterian minister attends occasionally and performs divine service in the parish school-house. There are twelve public schools in the parish; that at Trienbeg is aided by an annual donation from the Marquess of Sligo, and a school-house at Newport-Pratt was erected at the expense of the Rev. James Hughes, P. P. In these schools are about 1300 children; and in a hedge school at Carrig-a-neady are about 20 children. There are the remains of a castle, formerly belonging to the O'Malley family; also several Druidical caves, many of which contain large rooms arched over with flags. A patron is held here on St. Dominick's day, the 4th of August.—See NEWPORT-PRATT.

From: Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837); accessed at:  http://www.libraryireland.com/topog/B/Burrishoole-Burrishoole-Mayo.php

Localities

List the names of townlands in this civil parish List the names of the surrounding parishes List the names and give a description of a district, poor law union, etc.

Maps and gazetteers

Add a Web site link for a map or gazetteer site, and/or add a printed source. Read more about maps and gazetteers.

Records

Cemeteries

Add references to indexes to gravestones or monumental inscriptions.

Census

The purpose of a census was to gather information about people who lived in an area. While the government began census taking in 1821, only fragments exist before 1901. Censuses for 1901 and 1911 are available. Read more about the records in the Ireland Census article.

Add information here about census substitutes that you know about.

Church records

Read general information about church records.

Catholic

Name(s) of ecclesiastical parish, records, availability, archive, online indexes, notes.

The Catholic parish of Burrishoole (now called Newport) includes the civil parish of Burrishoole.

Family History Library
Baptisms 1872-1920
Marriages 1872-1911
Church of Ireland

Name(s) of ecclesiastical parish, records, availability, archive, online indexes, notes.

Presbyterian

Name(s) of ecclesiastical parish, records, availability, archive, online indexes, notes.

Methodist

Name(s) of ecclesiastical parish, records, availability, archive, online indexes, notes.

Society of Friends

Name(s) of ecclesiastical parish, records, availability, archive, online indexes, notes.

Others

Name(s) of ecclesiastical parish, records, availability, archive, online indexes, notes.

Civil Registration

Government registration of births and deaths began in 1864. Registration of Protestant marriages began in 1845, with all marriages being registered by 1864. Go to the Ireland Civil Registration article to read more about these records.

Land records

The Registry of Deeds started in 1708. Land transactions were recorded, including immovable property passed on in a will and property given to a daughter at her marriage. Read more about these records in the Ireland Land and Property article.

Probate records

Probate dealt with the property of a deceased person. Read more about these records in the Ireland Probate Records article.

Add information about probate records for this parish.

School records

Read more about these records in the Ireland Schools article. Add records for this parish.

Tax records

The valuation of property for tax purposes was started in the 1840s by Richard Griffith. A tax paid to the church, call Tithe Applotments, began in the 1820s. Read about these records in the Ireland Taxation and Ireland Land and Property articles. Add records for this parish that you know about.

Web Sites

Add a site for this civil parish.

Further Reading

Add sources here.


 

Need additional research help? Contact our research help specialists.

Need wiki, indexing, or website help? Contact our product teams.


Did you find this article helpful?

You're invited to explain your rating on the discussion page (you must be signed in).

  • This page was last modified on 21 November 2013, at 15:39.
  • This page has been accessed 1,132 times.