Burton upon Trent St Modwen, Staffordshire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Burton upon Trent St Modwen, Staffordshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
BURTON-UPON-TRENT(St. Mary and St. Modwena), a parish, and the head of a union, partly in the N. division of the hundred of Offlow and of the county of Stafford, and partly in the hundred of Repton and Gresley, S.division of the county of Derby; comprising the township of Winshill, in Derbyshire, and the townships of Branson, Burton-Extra, Horninglow, and Stretton. There are places of worship for General and Particular Baptists, Independents,and Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Staffordshire BMD includes registered births for the Burton upon Trent Registration District . http://www.staffordshirebmd.org.uk/cgi/birthind.cgi?county=staffordshire
Burton upon Trent St Modwen parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BURTON UPON TRENT ST MODWEN PARISH (1575) Online Records|
- 1532/3 - A List of Families in Burton upon Trent St Modwen, Staffordshire Genealogy 1532/3 FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474613.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 452-460. Date accessed: 16 October 2012.
- ↑ 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 13 September 2013.
- ↑ 'Staffordshire Parish Records Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 21 August 2014.
- ↑ 'Staffordshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 24 Jan 2015.
- ↑ 'IGI Batch Numbers for Stafford (A-M), England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 18 September 2013.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 8 September 2013.
- ↑ Ann J. Kettle, A List of Families in the Archdeaconry of Stafford, 1532-3 (Stafford: Staffordshire Record Society, 1976). FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
- This page was last modified on 28 April 2015, at 03:38.
- This page has been accessed 6,202 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More