Butler County, IowaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Butler County Iowa genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Butler County, Iowa|
Location in the state of Iowa
Location of Iowa in the U.S.
|Founded||January 15, 1851|
|Address|| Butler County Courthouse|
P. O. Box 325
Allison, IA 50602
Phone: (319) 267-2487
Butler County Website
Butler County Courthouse
P. O. Box 325
Allison, IA 50602
1851--Butler County was created 15 January 1851 from unorganized territory. The county was attached to Buchanan and Black Hawk Counties prior to its organization 2 October 1854. County seat: Allison 
Iowa recorded not only the federal census but state census through out the years too. The state census contains very valuable genealogical information. Where the census information can be found, what years it was taken, mortality schedules, census substitutions and much more is discussed in the very informative Iowa Census article.
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Iowa Church Records.
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, Butler County, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, Parkersburg, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
St. James Lutheran Church, Allison
- Records of the St. James Lutheran Church, Allison, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, Shell Rock, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Iowa Land and Property for additional information about early Iowa land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Butler County, Iowa. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Iowa Local Histories.
- History of Butler County Iowa: A Record of Settlement, Organization, Progress, and Achievement Vol. 1 Volume 2 includes biographies.
- Iowa USGS Topographic
Choose Airport, Bridge, Building, Cemetery, Church, Civil, Hospital, Lake, Locale, Park, Populated Place, Post Office, School, Stream, Summit, Trail
- NewspaperArchive.com ($) has historical newspapers online including Waterloo newspapers that may have included Butler County residents. This database is free at some libraries.
In most counties in Iowa, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The Family History Library Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Iowa - Butler - Probate records.
Iowa tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. Tax lists were usually made every year, however, there may be gaps of several years. For more information, see the wiki page Iowa Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Iowa Department of Public Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Sources and Footnotes
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Hart, Irving H.; History of Butler County Iowa: A Record of Settlement, Organization, Progress, and Achievement Vol. 1, S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1914 Google Books WorldCat 6114539
- This page was last modified on 13 August 2013, at 21:48.
- This page has been accessed 3,466 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More