Butler County, MissouriEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Butler County Missouri genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Butler County, Missouri|
Location of Missouri in the U.S.
|Founded||February 27, 1849|
|County Seat||Poplar Bluff|
|Address|| Butler County Courthouse|
100 N Main Street
Poplar Bluff, MO 63901
Butler County Website
Recorder of Deeds has marriage and land records from 1849;
Probate court has probate records from 1849; County Clerk
has birth and death records 1883-1893
1849--Butler County was created 27 February 1849 from Wayne County. It is named after former U.S. Representative William O. Butler (D-Kentucky). County seat: Poplar Bluff 
See an interactive map of Butler County border changes at N2Genealogy.
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all 114 Missouri Counties.
For tips on accessing Butler County, Missouri census records online, see: Missouri Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Missouri denominations, view the Missouri Church Records wiki page.
Butler County, Missouri Online Historical Directories - identifies historical city, county, business and other directories available online on both free and pay-to-access websites.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Missouri Land and Property for information about records of land transfers from the government to private ownership. After that transfer, transactions were usually recorded and are currently housed at the county courthouse.
Local histories are available for Butler County, Missouri. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section Missouri Local Histories.
- Map of Butler County townships (Histopolis)
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Butler County. The city of St. Louis is not included in this collection.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Butler County, Missouri newspapers in online catalogs like:
In Missouri, probate records have usually been recorded by the clerks of the probate courts, but in some counties the common pleas or circuit courts handled this function. They are frequently indexed.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Missouri Taxation.
St. Louis and Kansas City recorded births and deaths starting as early as 1850 for deaths and 1870 for births. The Missouri Department of Health began keeping birth and death records in 1909. County records vary by year and the county. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Missouri Vital Records State Department of Health or the County Clerk's office.
- 1878-1885 - Butler County Marriage Books C thru E Index 1878-1885. Batch M514681 at FamilySearch - free.
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
- 1883 - Butler County Death Index 1883. Batch B514687 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1884 - Butler County Death Index 1884. Batch B514684 at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Poplar Bluff Missouri Family History Center 2414 Katy Ln, Poplar Bluff, MO 63901-2304 United States
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Butler County, Missouri. Page 398 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/5a/Igimissouria.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 9 December 2013, at 18:04.
- This page has been accessed 2,980 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More