Caldwell Parish, LouisianaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Caldwell Parish Louisiana genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Caldwell Parish, Louisiana|
Location in the state of Louisiana
Location of Louisiana in the U.S.
|Founded||March 6, 1838|
- 1838--Caldwell Parish was created 6 March 1838 from Catahoula and Ouachita Parishes.
Parish seat: Columbia 
See an interactive map of Caldwell Parish boundary changes. (map also shows parish boundaries for census years)
Places / Localities
Neighboring Parishes or Counties
- Louisiana African American Griots Project ~ USGenWeb Project
- Afrigeneas - African Ancestored Genealogy
- Otis A. Biggs
- Jahleal Boatner
- John R. Brown
- Stephen H. Brown, M.D.
- James R. Cottingham
- Capt. Anthony Wayne Faulkner
- John Wesley James
- Irby B. May, M.D
- George Washington Murphey
- John Pugh
- C.P. Thornhill
- Frances Marion Thornhill, M.D.
- LA Tombstone Transcription Project ~ partial records and photos ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Interment.net ~ LA cemetery records by county
- African American Cemeteries ~ listing by county
- FindaGrave.com ~ cemetery records with search by cemetery, by surname
- Adams Cemetery
- Bethany Cemetery
- Brown Cemetery
- Columbia Hills Cemetery
- Cross Roads Cemetery
- Fellowship Cemetery
- Hebert Cemetery
- Little Star Cemetery
- McDaniel Cemetery
- Mount Pleasant Cemetery
- Old Bethel Cemetery
- Old Union Cemetery
- Palestine Cemetery
- Welcome Home Cemetery
|Caldwell Parish Census Data|
- Louisiana Census Images ~ USGenWeb Census Images Project
- 1840 Caldwell Parish Census Index
- 1850 Mortality Census
- 1880 Census Images
- 1900 Census Images
- 1910 Census Images
- 1920 Census Images
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Louisiana denominations, view the Louisiana Church Records wiki page.
- Records of the field offices for the State of Louisiana, Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen, and Abandoned Lands, 1863-1872Reel 0042, Labor Contracts (Agreements with Freedmen)
- Records of the field offices for the State of Louisiana, Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen, and Abandoned Lands, 1863-1872Reel 0070
- Records of the field offices for the State of Louisiana, Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen, and Abandoned Lands, 1863-1872Reel 0071
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Louisiana Land and Property for additional information about early Louisiana land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse where records are also currently housed.
US General Land Office Records 1796 - 1907 ~ Ancestry.com
Local histories are available for Caldwell Parish, Louisiana. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Louisiana Local Histories. Louisiana Museums
- USGW Digital Map Collection ~ USGenWeb Project
- 1895 US Atlas - Caldwell Parish
- Caldwell Parish Topo Maps and Aerial Photos
- Louisiana Military History Online
- Caldwell Parish Civil War Soldiers, Union Army: Census of 1890
- WWII Army & Army Air Forces Casualties
- WWII Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard Casualties
- Korean War Casualties
- Korean War MIA
- Roster of Troops in Confederate Services
- Vietnam War Casualties
- Vietnam/Southeast Asia MIA
Regiments. Service men in Caldwell Parish, Louisiana served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Caldwell Parish, Louisiana:
- - 3rd Regiment, Louisiana Cavalry (Harrison's)(Confederate), Company C
- - 3rd Regiment, Louisiana Infantry (Confederate), Company I
- - 3rd Regiment, Louisiana Cavalry (Confederate), Company I
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Caldwell Parish, Louisiana newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records before 1845 were kept in probate courts. Since 1845, they have been kept by the Caldwell Parish, Louisiana clerk of the district court. Many of the probate records are included in the notarial records with the deeds and mortgages. In some parishes they are known as “succession” records.
See the Wiki page Louisiana Probate Records for more information about probate records in Louisiana.
Content: Probate records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Louisiana Probate Records ~ information on.
Louisiana tax records can be used in place of missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Louisiana Taxation.
Louisiana statewide registration of birth and death records began in 1911. Births and deaths are kept by the Louisiana Vital Records Registry. Marriages were recorded by each parish, and the records are at the parish clerk of court office. See Louisiana Vital Records for more information on getting Louisiana records.
Louisiana Records and Statistics Information ~ where and how to order information.
Societies and Libraries
211 Jackson Street
Columbia, LA 71418
Phone Number: 318-649=2259
- Louisiana Historical Society
- Louisiana Historical Association
- Family History Library Catalog Holdings
- Periodical Search ~ Ancestry.com
- LAGenWeb - Louisiana State Records
- USGenWeb ~ Records, Maps, Archives and Other Projects
- Louisiana Archives ~ USGenWeb Archives Project *Family History Library Catalog
- Caldwell Parish, Louisiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002)Aurora County, Louisiana, p.289
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ United States Census Bureau. "Louisiana Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/la190090.txt. Retrieved 2008-02-02.
- This page was last modified on 12 October 2013, at 01:11.
- This page has been accessed 3,669 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More