Calgary Alberta Family History CentreEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Centre, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
The Calgary Alberta Family History Centre is dedicated to providing education and support for the Family History community in the Calgary area. Our staff of about 30 volunteers are here to help you in your research.
- Language: English
- Location & Map
Address: 2021-17th Avenue S.W., Calgary, Alberta, T2T 0G2
- Location on Map
- We are located on the lower level of the building. The entrance to the Centre is on 19A Street S.W. Please park in the lot directly east of the Centre. Press the Black Button beside the double doors on the east side of the building to ring the front desk. A staff member will answer and admit you.
Phone: (403) 571-3700
Regular Hours of Operations
- Tuesdays and Wednesdays: 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.
- Saturdays: 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- Call: (403) 571-3700.
- Our Centre is Fragrance Free due to some of our staff and patrons are allergic.
- No food or drinks are allowed.
- Children under 12 must be accompanied and monitored by an adult.
- Director: Carol Hutchinson
- High Council Advisor: Tom Wood
- Patron Services: Carole Sundal
- Technical Services: Janice Cushman
- Treasurer: Brien Cushman
- Staff Trainer: Erin Woolley
FAMILY HISTORY CLASSES
sponsored by the
CALGARY FAMILY HISTORY CENTRE
7:00 pm - Lounge - 2021 17 Ave. S.W.
~ PLEASE ATTEND FRAGRANCE FREE ~ (eg. lotions, aftershave, perfume)
January 23, 2014 - Getting Started ... Again?
Learn how to get started (or restarted) in family history research. This class is designed for those with little or no previous experience. Presenter: Carol Hutchinson
February 27, 2014 - Ireland
Learn how to research your Irish ancestors. Basic record sources will be included. Come and see what new records are now available online for researching your Irish ancestors. Presenter: Janice Cushman
March 27, 2014 - Digitizing Photos and Documents
This class will demonstrate how to digitize your photos and documents, and explain the best settings to use when scanning. Basic troubleshooting will be included. Presenter: TBA
April 24, 2014 - Organizing and Backup of Digital Media
This class will teach you how to organize your photographs and documents, so that you can find something in less than a minute. It will also cover different ways to backup your data to prevent loss. Presenter: TBA
EVERYONE IS WELCOME TO ATTEND
Please Register for Classes at: http://genwebworks.net/cfhc
Staff Training Meetings
- Please come "FRAGRANCE FREE" to all of our Staff Training Meetings
- Staff Trainings are on the 2nd Thursday – please mark your calendars.
- Community Classes are on the 4th Thursday – please mark your calendars.
- It is important that you attend as many of these trainings and classes as you can.
- The more that you learn, the better prepared you will be to assist our patrons.
Staff Training Challenge
- Family History Library Catalog. Microfilms from the Family History Library Catalog can be ordered online from home and can be viewed at this centre.
- Our Family History Centre has an extensive collection of research materials, including:
- Ontario Vital Records Indexes
- Birth 1869 - 1912
- Marriage 1869 - 1927
- Death 1869 - 1937
- Ontario Marriage Registrations 1869 - 1914
- Ontario Early Marriage Registers
- Ontario Land Record Indexes (fiche)
- Nova Scotia B/M/D Indexes 1864 - 1877
- Quebec Marriage Index (Loiselle, Rivest, Drouin)
- Quebec Family Index (Jette, Tanguay)
- Alberta Homestead Record Index
- Southern Alberta Cemetery Records
- BRITISH ISLES
- England/Wales Civil Registration Indexes
- Birth 1837 - 1960
- Marriage 1837 - 1960, 1972, 1973
- Death 1837 - 1976, 1980, 1983
- England - Boyd's Marriage Index 1800 - 1837
- England Probate Indexes 1383 - 1858
- England/Wales National Burial Index 1538 - 2010
- Ireland Civil Registration Indexes
- Birth 1864 - 1921
- Marriage 1845 - 1921
- Death 1864 - 1921
- Eire / N. Ireland B/M/D Indexes 1922 - 1958
- Ireland Marriage License Index 1629 - 1864
- Ireland Index to Griffith's Valuation 1848 - 1864
- Scotland Civil Registration Indexes
- Birth 1855 - 1932
- Marriage 1855 - 1925
- Death 1855 - 1955
- Scotland Old Parochial Register (O.P.R.)
- Hamburg Direct and Indirect Passenger Lists
- St. Petersburg - Lutheran Church Records 1833 - 1885
- Crossing the Ocean Index 1840 - 1885, 1889 - 1925
- Crossing the Plains Index 1847 - 1869
- LDS European Card Index 1840 - 1925
- Alberta Temple Records 1923 - 1949
Databases & Software
In our Centre we have Free Access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Alexander Street Press – The American Civil War
- Research Database
- Letters and Diaries
- Images, Photographs, Posters & Ephemera
- Find My Past
- Fold3.com (Footnote.com)
- The Genealogist
- Genline FamilyFinder
- Godfrey Memorial Library
- Heritage Quest Online
- Historic Map Works Library Edition
- Paper Trail
- World Vital Records
Hardware and Equipment
- 8 Computer Workstations with Printer access
- 9 Microfilm Readers (45 mm)
- 4 Microfilm Readers (16 mm)
- 2 Microfilm/Microfiche Reader/Printers
- 4 Microfiche Readers
- Digital Imaging System
- Photo Copier
Staff Research Specialties
RESOURCES IN OUR LOCAL AREA
- Alberta Family Histories Society
- Address: 712 – 16 Avenue NW (Calgary)
- Phone # 403 - 214 - 1447
- Glenbow Museum
- Address: 130 – 9 Avenue SE (Calgary)
- Phone # 403 - 268 - 4100
- Calgary Public Library - Main Branch
- Address: 616 Macleod Trail SE (Calgary)
- Phone # 403 - 260 - 2600
- University of Calgary Library (MacKimmie Library)
- Address: 2500 University Drive NW (Calgary)
- Phone # 403 - 220 - 8895
Here are some websites that might be of interest to you.
- Automated Genealogy (Canadian Census 1851, 1901, 1906, 1911)
- Library & Archives Canada
- Ontario Cemetery Finding Aid
- Canada's Local Histories Online
- Find the graves of your ancestors
- Cyndi’s List
VOLUNTEER AT THE CENTRE(Include information here about the volunteers you are looking for.)
- This page was last modified on 20 November 2013, at 18:09.
- This page has been accessed 9,529 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More