Calhoun County, FloridaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Calhoun County Florida genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Calhoun County, Florida|
Location in the state of Florida
Location of Florida in the U.S.
|Founded||January 26, 1838|
Named for John C. Calhoun, member of the United States Senate from South Carolina and the seventh U.S. vice president, serving under John Quincy Adams and Andrew Jackson.
-- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
Places / Localities
- Florida Tombstone Transcription Project - USGenWeb
- Interment.net - Florida cemetery records by County
- Veterans Administration National Cemeteries - Florida National Cemeteries
- Chipola Primitive Baptist Church Cemetery, Altha BillionGraves
- Nettle Ridge Cemetery, Blountstown BillionGraves
For tips on accessing Calhoun County, Florida census records online, see: Florida Census.
- 1783 Spanish Census - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1821 Census/Tax List Index - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1823 Census/Tax List Index - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1880 Census African Born Blacks and Mulattos - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Federal Census Information from National Archives - USGenWeb Archives Project
- State Census Information from Florida State Archives - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Census of Pensioners Revolutionary Military Service - USGenWeb Archives Project
The 1885 Florida State Population Census includes sex, age, relationship, occupation, place of birth of each family member and parents. Also census for agriculture and mortality.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Florida denominations, view the Florida Church Records wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Florida Land and Property for additional information about early Florida land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Calhoun County, Florida. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Florida Local Histories.
- 1870 Gray's Atlas Panhandle Portion of State - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1882 Rand McNally Panhandle Portion of State - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Florida State Military Files - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Pension Transcriptions - Florida state pension records from various wars - USGenWeb Pension Project
- Florida Casualties in the Korean Conflict
- Florida Casualties in the Vietnam War
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Calhoun County, Florida newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Florida Obituaries - Obituary transcriptions from Florida counties - USGenWeb Obituaries Project
Probate records are held by the Calhoun County, Florida Clerk of Court and are housed at the Calhoun County, Florida Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Florida Probate Records, 1784-1990. See the wiki page Florida Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Florida Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Florida Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred.
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Florida.
- 1862-1885 - Calhoun County Marriage Books 1 and 2 Index 1862-1885. Batch M512991 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1862-1912 - Calhoun County Marriage Books 1 and 2 Index 1862-1912. Batch M736149 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1906-1910 - Calhoun County Marriage Index 1906-1910. Batch M736977 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1909-1912 - Calhoun County Marriage Index 1909-1912. Batch M736972 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1912-1917 - Calhoun County Marriage Index 1912-1917. Batch M736598 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1912-1921 - Calhoun County Marriage Books 4 and 5 Index 1912-1921. Batch M736926 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1917-1924 - Calhoun County Marriage Index 1917-1924. Batch M736327 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1919-1927 - Calhoun County Marriage Index 1919-1927. Batch M736713 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1921-1926 - Calhoun County Marriage Book 6 Index 1921-1926. Batch M736797 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1924-1926 - Calhoun County Marriage Index 1924-1926. Batch M736663 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1925-1927 - Calhoun County Marriage Index 1925-1927. Batch M736817 at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
- Florida State Historical Societies - Listing by County
- Florida Family History Centers
- Florida Historical Society
- Florida State Genealogical Society
Family History Centers
- State of Florida
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Calhoun County, Florida Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Calhoun County, FLGenWeb Project
- Calhoun County, FLGenWeb Project, Inc.
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Calhoun County, Florida. Page 133 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/54/Igiflorida.pdf.
|This Florida-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 13 June 2013, at 00:30.
- This page has been accessed 1,572 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More