Calhoun County, GeorgiaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Calhoun County Georgia genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Calhoun County, Georgia|
Location of Georgia in the U.S.
|Founded||February 20, 1854|
|Address|| Calhoun County Courthouse|
111 School Street
PO Box 111
Morgan, GA 31766
Calhoun County Website
Calhoun County Georgia Courthouse
court records from 1854; Probate Court has birth,
marriage, death, burial and probate records
Calhoun County Georgia History
Local histories are available for Calhoun County, Georgia. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
1888 and 1920 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
Calhoun County Georgia Places/Localities
Calhoun County Georgia Genealogy Resources
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Newspapers Extracts and Abstracts
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Calhoun County, Georgia newspapers in online catalogs like:
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
- 1869-70 - Calhoun County, Georgia Mortality Schedules at Ancestry ($).
Calhoun County Georgia Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Calhoun County Georgia Genealogy Websites
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Calhoun County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
Calhoun County Georgia Genealogy References
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Calhoun County, Georgia. Page 152 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/0/09/Igigeorgiaad.pdf.
|This Georgia-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 14 May 2013, at 15:30.
- This page has been accessed 1,341 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More