California, Birth Index (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: California, Birth Index, 1905-1995 .
The collection consists of a name index to birth records created by the California Department of Health Services, Vital Statistics Section in Sacramento. The collection covers the years 1905 to 1995.
The event locations in this collection are listed by county and state and not by city and state. For example, Los Angeles, Kern, San Diego, etc. refer to counties not cities or towns. Burbank, California, is in Los Angeles County as an example.
The index includes the following:
- Date and place of birth
- Mother's surname
How to Use the Record
To begin your search it is helpful to know:
- Identifying information such date or place of birth
Search the Collection
To search the collection fill in the requested information in the boxes on the initial search page. This search will return a list of possible matches. Compare the information about the individuals in the list to what you already know about your ancestors to determine if this is the correct family or person. You may need to look at the information on several individuals comparing the information about them to your ancestors to make this determination. Keep in mind:
- There may be more than one person in the records with the same name.
- You may not be sure of your own ancestor’s name.
- Your ancestor may have used different names, or variations of their name, throughout their life.
- If your ancestor used an alias or a nickname, be sure to check for those alternate names.
- Even though these indexes are very accurate they may still contain inaccuracies, such as altered spellings, misinterpretations, and optical character recognition errors if the information was scanned.
For tips about searching on-line collections see the on-line video at FamilySearch Search Tips and Tricks.
Using the Information
When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. Download a copy of the record, or extract the genealogical information needed. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details. Add this new information to your records of each family. The information may also lead you to other records about your ancestors. For example, use the date and place of birth to look for church and census records.
Tips to Keep in Mind
- The event locations in this collection are listed by county and state and not by city and state. For example, Los Angeles, Kern, San Diego, etc. refer to counties not cities or towns. Burbank, California, is in Los Angeles County as an example.
- Continue to search the index to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives who may have served in the same unit or a nearby unit.
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct.
- Be aware that, as with any index, transcription errors may occur.
Unable to Find Your Ancestor?
- Look for variant spellings of the names. You should also look for nicknames and abbreviated names.
- Search the indexes and records of nearby localities.
- Try alternative search methods such as only filling in the surname search box (or the given name search box) on the landing page leaving the other box empty and then click on search. This should return a list of everyone with that particular name. You could then browse the list for individuals that may be your ancestor.
|Don't overlook FHL Keyword California, Birth Records items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see the wiki article California Archives and Libraries. For additional information about this state see the wiki article California.|
Related Wiki Articles
- California Births and Christenings (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- California, County Birth and Death Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- California Vital Records
Contributions to This Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Citation for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Records collections. Sources include the author, custodian, publisher, and archive for the original records.
- California Department of Health Services. Birth Index. Vital Statistics Department, Sacramento, California.
- This page was last modified on 15 August 2014, at 16:45.
- This page has been accessed 28,855 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki