California, Death Index, 1940-1997 (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: California, Death Index, 1940-1997 .
This Collection will include records from 1940 to 1997.
This collection consists of a name index of death records. The index was created by the California Department of Health Services, Vital Statistics Section in Sacramento.
The index includes the following:
- Date and place of birth
- Date and place of death
- Father's last name
- Mother's maiden name
How to Use the Record
To search this collection using the index:
Fill in the requested information in the initial search page. This search will return a list of possible matches. Compare the information about the ancestors in the list to what you already know about your ancestors to determine if this is the correct family or person. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to find your ancestor.
To begin your search it is helpful to know the following:
- The name of the person at the time of death
- Other identifying information such as the death date or place
For help searching the collection view the on-line demonstration FamilySearch Search Tips.
Using the Information:
When you have located your ancestor’s death record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details that can lead you to other records about your ancestors. Add this new information to your records of each family. For example:
- Use the death date to obtain a death certificate.
- Use the birth date or age along with the place of birth to find or verify their birth records and parents' names.
- Use the birth date or age along with the place of birth to find the family in other records such as census and church records.
Tips to Keep in Mind:
- Compile the entries for every person who has the same surname; this is especially helpful in rural areas or if the surname is unusual.
- Continue to search the records to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives of the deceased who may have died or been buried in the same county or nearby. This can help you identify other generations of your family or even the second marriage of a parent. Repeat this process for each new generation you identify.
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct.
- If you are unable to find the ancestors you are looking for, check for variant spellings of the surnames.
- Remember that indexes may contain inaccuracies, such as altered spellings, misinterpretations, and optical character recognition errors if the information was scanned.
|FHL Place California items or FHL Keyword United States, California items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see California Archives and Libraries.|
Related Wiki Articles
- California, County Birth and Death Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- California, Death Index, 1905-1939 (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- California Vital Records
Contributions to This Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information. This will help you or others to find the record again. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records.
Citation for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Records collections. Sources include the author, custodian, publisher, and archive for the original records.
- "California, Death Index, 1940-1997
." Index. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013.]]
text = California Department of Health Services. California, Death Indexes. California Department of Health Services, Vital Statistics Section, Sacramento, California.
- This page was last modified on 17 June 2014, at 20:04.
- This page has been accessed 20,258 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki