Callington, CornwallEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Callington, Cornwall ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Liskeard PLU|
|Parish registers: 1558; For more records see South Hill|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1597|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall|
|Location of Archive|
|Cornwall Record Office|
CALLINGTON (St. Mary), a market-town and parish, and formerly a borough, in the union of Liskeard, Middle division of the hundred of East, E. division of Cornwall, 10½ miles (S. by E.) from Launceston, 14 (N.) from Plymouth, and 213 (W. S. W.) from London. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans.
England Jurisdictions 1851 may be used to locate nearby parishes by clicking the "Options" tab and selecting "List contiguous parishes."
Births, marriages and deaths were kept by the government from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Callington, Cornwall parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|COPC = Cornwall Online Parish Clerks - free|
|FMP = findmypast - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|Callington, Cornwall Parish Online Records|
||1558-1603, 1677-1773, 1837-1913||
||1558-1773, 1891-1911|| |
||1867-1883, 1941-1954|| |
Records for Callington cover 1558-1998, these registers are kept at the County Record Office, County Hall, Truro TR1 3AY.
The Family History Library has microfilmed parish registers from 1837-1998 and bishop’s transcripts from 1677-1804. Microfilm numbers can be found at FamilySearch.
Parish registers refer to Cornwall Record Office reference: P 25.
Cornwall Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource is the Cornwall Online Parish Clerks
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241258.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cornwall Probate Records to find the namae of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteer
There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Valuable web sites are:
Callington in GENUKI
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 471-474Date accessed: 11 March 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Coverage by Parish,' Cornwall Online Parish Clerks, accessed 2 December 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Baptisms', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Marriages', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Burials', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 18 November 2013.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Cornwall, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 21 November 2013.
- This page was last modified on 15 November 2014, at 21:31.
- This page has been accessed 2,541 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page