Camden County, GeorgiaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Camden County, Georgia ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Camden County, Georgia|
Location in the state of Georgia
|Founded||February 5, 1777|
|Address|| Camden County Courthouse|
PO Box 99
Woodbine, GA 31569
Camden County Website
County CourthouseCamden County Courthouse
202 E 4th St
Woodbine, GA 31569
Clerk Superior Court has divorce, court, and land records; Probate Court has birth, marriage, death and probate records.
1777--Camden County was created 5 February 1777 from St. Thomas and St. Mary Parishes.
County seat: Woodbine 
For animated maps illustrating Georgia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Georgia County Boundary Maps" (1758-1932) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
No reported damage.
An Abandoned Black Settlement on Cuberland Island, (Camden County) Georgia. Mary Riketson Bullard. - South Dartmouth, Mass. [C. 1982] 129 p F292.C94 B84 1982
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Georgia denominations, see the Georgia Church Records wiki page.
Episcopal Mission District
- 1885-1922 - Episcopal Mission District Baptism Index 1885-1922. Batch C712321 at FamilySeach - free.
- 1852-1902 - Episcopal Mission District Marriage Index 1885-1902. Batch M712321 at FamilySearch - free.
St. Mary's Church of Our Saviour
- 1887-1895 - St. Mary's Church of Our Saviour Marriage Index 1887-1895. Batch M712341 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1787-1885 - St. Mary's Methodist Episcopal Church South Baptism Index 1787-1885. Batch C712351 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1787-1895 - St. Mary's Methodist Episcopal Church South Marriage Index 1787-1895. Batch M712351 at FamilySearch - free.
1892 St. Mary's, Georgia City Directory (digital images) Georgia Pioneers
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Camden County, Georgia. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
Regiments. Service men in Camden County, Georgia served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Camden County, Georgia:
- - 26th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company C
- - Military - Civil War - Georgia USGenWeb Archives Project
World War I
Camden County World War I Service Records 1917-1919 (Army, Navy, Marines) (digital images)
Newspapers Extracts and Abstracts
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Camden County, Georgia newspapers in online catalogs like:
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
Camden County Will Bk C 1885-1900 (digital images) Georgia Pioneers
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online..
Camden County Marriages 1818-1890 Georgia Pioneers
Camden County Marriages (from Newspapers) 1885-1890 Georgia Pioneers
- 1852-1895 - Camden County Marriage Index 1852-1895. Batch M712332 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1852-1895 - Camden County Marriage Index 1852-1895. Batch M712333 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1869-70, 1879-80 - Camden County, Georgia Mortality Schedules at Ancestry ($).
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Camden County, GA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Georgia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Georgia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Camden County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers Georgia Pioneers
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Camden County, Georgia. Page 152 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Paul K. Graham, Georgia Courthouse Disasters (Decatur, Georgia: Genealogy Co., 2013), 18. At various libraries (WorldCat).
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/0/09/Igigeorgiaad.pdf.
|This Georgia-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 20 November 2014, at 20:46.
- This page has been accessed 13,792 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More