Camden District, South CarolinaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Camden district was established in 1768 when South Carolina eliminated the counties and created seven Districts. In 1785, counties were re-established as subsets and subordinate to the overarching districts. The following counties were the original counties formed:
In 1800, South Carolina abolished overarching administrative court districts and went with the county-only concept. However they continued to call their counties, districts until 1868, after the Civil War. 
For documents of people who lived in this area at this time, look in:
In 1791 Pinckney District was formed from Camden District and the Ninety-Six District.
South Carolina Archives has a page called "The Formation of Counties in South Carolina." You can click on the years the side to see the boundaries of districts and counties.
For animated maps illustrating South Carolina county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation South Carolina County Boundary Maps" (1682-1987) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
- South Carolina Archives Summary Guide: Camden District, available online, courtesy: South Carolina Department of Archives and History.
Church of England
See also St. Mark's Parish.
- [Hamiter] Hamiter, David L. "The Hamiter Family of South Carolina," The South Carolina Magazine of Ancestral Research, Vol. 23, No. 1 (Winter 1995):3-12. FHL Book 975.7 B2sc v. 23
- McCrady, Edward. Heroes of the Old Camden District, South Carolina, 1776-1861: An Address to the Survivors of Fairfield County, Delivered at Winnsboro, S.C., September 1st, 1888, by Col. Edward McCrady, Jr. Richmond, Va.: Wm. Ellis Jones, Book and Job Printer, 1888. Digital version at Google Books.
Civil War service men from Camden District served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies and regiments that were formed of men from Camden District
- - 2nd Regiment, South Carolina Infantry (2nd Palmetto Regiment)
- - Company E (also known as Camden Volunteers and Camden Light Infantry)
- ↑ Lewis, J.D., Camden District, South Carolina, http://www.carolana.com/SC/Counties/camden_district_sc.html : 2007
- ↑ "South Carolina Districts and Parishes 1770" [map] in Carolana at http://www.carolana.com/SC/Royal_Colony/sc_royal_colony_districts_parishes_1770.html (accessed 7 May 2011).
- This page was last modified on 10 March 2014, at 16:50.
- This page has been accessed 4,677 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback