Cameron Parish, LouisianaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Cameron Parish Louisiana genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Cameron Parish, Louisiana|
Location in the state of Louisiana
Location of Louisiana in the U.S.
|Founded||March 15, 1870|
|Address|| PO Box 1280|
Cameron, LA 70631
Cameron Parish Clerk of Court Website
Cameron Parish Courthouse
119 Smith Road
Cameron, LA 70631-0549
Parish Clerk has marriage, probate, divorce, court and
land records from 1870 and military discharge records
from 1918 
LSU Special Collection: "The Courthouse still Stands after Hurricane Audrey"
- Named for Simon Cameron, first Secretary of War under Abraham Lincoln, the 16th President of the United States
- 1870--Cameron Parish was created 15 March 1870 from Calcasieu and Vermilion Parishes.
Parish seat: Cameron 
- Northeast portion set off to create Jefferson Davis Parish 12 June 1912.
For animated maps illustrating Louisiana Parish boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Louisiana Parish Boundary Maps" (1805-1990) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Louisiana Parishes see: Louisiana Parishes with Burned Courthouses
Places / Localities
Communities: Big Lake | Cameron | Constance Beach | Creole | Gibbstown | Grand Chenier | Grand Lake | Hackberry | Hacketts Corner | Holly Beach | Illinois Plant | Johnson Bayou | Johnson Bayou Landing | Lone Pine | Lowry | North Island | Oak Grove | Peveto Beach | Sweet Lake
Neighboring Parishes or Counties
|Cameron Parish Census Data|
Cemeteries (in rural areas)
Cemeteries at Cameron Par. - LAGenWeb
- The USGenWeb Archives Project:
- Federal: 1870 . 1880 . 1890 . 1900 . 1910 . 1930
- Grand Chenier
- Grand Lake
- Johnson Bayou
- Czechs and Sloavks
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Louisiana denominations, view the Louisiana Church Records wiki page.
- Roman Catholic
Gazetteers of Places/Localities
- United States Geographic Survey Place Names - GNIS for Cameron Parish (over 525 entries)
(may not always be present in alphabetic order on first try.)
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Louisiana Land and Property for additional information about early Louisiana land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse where records are also currently housed.
Local histories are available for Cameron Parish, Louisiana. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Louisiana Local Histories.
Cameron Parish, La. - LAGenWeb
LSU Special Collection
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Cameron Parish, Louisiana newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records before 1845 were kept in probate courts. Since 1845, they have been kept by the Cameron Parish, Louisiana clerk of the district court. Many of the probate records are included in the notarial records with the deeds and mortgages. In some parishes they are known as “succession” records.
See the Wiki page Louisiana Probate Records for more information about probate records in Louisiana.
Content: Probate records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Louisiana tax records can be used in place of missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Louisiana Taxation.
Louisiana statewide registration of birth and death records began in 1911. Births and deaths are kept by the Louisiana Vital Records Registry. Marriages were recorded by each parish, and the records are at the parish clerk of court office. See also How to order Louisiana Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Louisiana Vital Records for more information on getting Louisiana records.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
|Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.|
- Cameron Parish, LA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch.org FamilySearch Catalog for Cameron Parish.
- The Cameron Parish LAGenWeb Project, an member of The LAGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Cameron Parish.
- Cameron Parish, Louisiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
Thanks to the Cameron Parish Wiki Contributors
Contributors are people who write and edit the pages for FamilySearch Wiki. Thanks to the following contributors for helping to build this page (in alpha order). Anyone can be a contributor. Add content today!
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002)Aurora County, Louisiana, p.289
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ United States Census Bureau. "Louisiana Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/la190090.txt. Retrieved 2008-02-02.
- This page was last modified on 22 September 2014, at 21:45.
- This page has been accessed 13,084 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki