Carleton Rode, NorfolkEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Carleton Rode, Norfolk|
|Poor Law Union||Depwade PLU|
|Parish registers: 1560|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1691|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
CARLTON-RODE (All Saints), a parish, in the union and hundred of Depwade, E. division of Norfolk, 5 miles (S. E. by E.) from Attleborough. There is a place of worship for Particular Baptists. 
Carleton Rode All Saints is an Ancient parish in the Diocese of Norwich.
The size of this church and it's neighbour Bunwell, Norfolk indicate the wealth of local landowners. Chancels of this size and age are rare, and were financed by rebuilding towards the end of the Middle Ages, as happened here with the nave. Despite subsequent renovation of the interior several of the consecration crosses from its original opening in the late 13th century remain.The three large panels of the original glass survive and are rare in East Anglia. Two of them depict Evangelistic symbols, the Ox of St Luke and the Eagle of St John,with scrolls declaring Luccas Bos and Johannes Aquila. The third depicts a king playing a harp, and is David from the Old Testament.
The original tower suffered collapse in the 18th century, resulting in the lower tower seen today.
Carleton Rode, Norfolk parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Carleton Rode, Norfolk Online Records|
Original Records are deposited at the Norfolk Record Office reference PD 254/ 1-11
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438851.
- 1891 Census Surname Index courtesy of Pat Greetham and Norfolk Transcription Archives
- 1891 Census Stray courtesy of Geoff Lowe and Norfolk Transcription Archives
Poor Law Unions
- See also England Norfolk Poor Law Union Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Norfolk Poor Law Unions
Courtesy of Norfolk Transcription Archives:
- Carleton Rode on GenUKI
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 520-523. Date accessed: 19 September 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 24 February 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 11 February 2014.
- ↑ Norfolk Transcription Archive, accessed 15 April 2014.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Births Indexes: Guide to Parishes, n.d.; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Baptism Project 1813 to 1880,' Tinstaafl Transcripts, accessed 10 April 2014.
- This page was last modified on 25 September 2014, at 17:41.
- This page has been accessed 5,984 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki