Carroll County, KentuckyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Carroll County Kentucky genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Carroll County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||February 9, 1838|
Carroll County Kentucky Courthouse
Carroll County Kentucky History
Carroll County Kentucky Places / Localities
|Carson||Gilgal (hist.)||Mound Hill (hist.)||Tomtown (hist.)|
Carroll County Kentucky Genealogy Resources
- the KY African American Griots Project ~ The Kentucky African American Griots Project
- Sandi Gorin's Tips ~ Hangings in Kentucky 1792 - 1900
- KY Biographies ~ Jeff Murphy's Kentucky Biographies Project
Kentucky cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Carroll Co. cemeteries at Carroll Co. KYGenWeb
- Carroll Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
- Naming the Forgotten ~ Naming the Forgotten - The Eastern State Hospital Project
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Carroll County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Carroll County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Carroll County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
For tips on accessing Carroll County, Kentucky census records online, see: Kentucky Census.
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Kentucky Census Transcriptions 1850 - 1930
- The USGenWeb Census Images ~ The USGenWeb Census Images Project
- Kentucky Census Transcriptions ~ The USGenWeb Census Project
- Census Online ~ Census Online
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Kentucky denominations, view the Kentucky Church Records wiki page.
- Kentucky Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel
- Catholic Parishes in the Diocese of Lexington
- Catholic Parishes in the Archdiocese of Louisville
- Church records include baptisms, marriages and burials, as well as information about family members, such as parents and spouses, and clues about family migration.
To find church records for Carroll County:
- Search the Family History Library Catalog for church records of towns in Carroll County. Use the Place-names Search with the name of the town. On the Topics list, click Church records.
- Write to the minister of the local church. To find an address, phone number or email for a church use an Internet phone directory, such as:
:- KY HomeTownLocator
- Write to a church archive that may have the records.
:- A list of major church archives in Kentucky is on the Kentucky Church Records Wiki article.
:- Some major denomination archives are listed on the United States Church Records Wiki article.
- Contact the county public library. Public libraries often have books about the churches in their area. The librarian may also know where the records are kept or who would know more about the records.
- Use the Periodical Source Index (PERSI). This often indexes magazine articles with church records. PERSI is on the Internet sites of HeritageQuestOnline.com and Ancestry.com that may be available for free at your public library or a nearby family history center.
- Write to a genealogical society or historical society that may have manuscripts or published books of church records.
- Abstracts of Early KY Court Cases Abstracts of Early Supreme Court Cases ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky Court of Justice Research & Reference
Local histories are available for Carroll County, Kentucky. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Kentucky Local Histories.
-  ~ The Archives of Appalachia
- Military Resources ~ Revolutionary War through Civil War
- Korean War Memorial Korean War Memorial for Soliders from KY ~ KYGenWeb
- Fallen Soldiers in WWI from KY ~ Fallen Soldiers in WWI from Kentucky
Regiments. Service men in Carroll County, Kentucky served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Carroll County, Kentucky:
- - 14th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Confederate). Companies K and L.
- KY Postcards Kentucky Postcards ~ The USGenWeb Archives Penny Postcard Project
- The KYGenWeb Footsteps ~ The Kentucky Footsteps Archives ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky News - Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Another Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Kentucky Newspapers on Microfilm - Kentucky Newspapers Available On Microfilm
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Carroll County, Kentucky newspapers in online catalogs like:
- KY Footsteps Archives ~ KY Footsteps List Archives - thousands of obituaries here ~ KYGenWeb Project
- KY Obituary Sources ~ Kentucky Obituary Sources ~ Compiled by the KYGenWeb Project
- Links to research and locate obituaries
- Browning Genealogy Database ~ The Browning Genealogy Database - A Collection of Obituaries Compiled by Charles Browning.
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Kentucky Obituary Project
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Kentucky Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Nashville Advocate ~ Death Abstracts from the Nashville Christian Advocate
Probate records are held by the Carroll County, Kentucky Clerk of Court and are housed at the Carroll County, Kentucky Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Kentucky, Probate Records, 1792-1977. See the wiki page Kentucky Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
- 1838-1966 - Will Books 1 to 8 (1838-1966) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
- Search Tax, Criminal, Land and Wills Records ~ Ancestry.com (subscription)
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more background information and state-wide resources see the wiki page Kentucky Taxation.
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Although Kentucky enacted a statute in 1852-1862 requiring registration of births and deaths,many counties did not comply. A second law was written in 1874-1879, and 1892-1910 but, again, was not always followed. By 1911, the law was more clearly defined and kept by 1920. Any existing births 1852-1960 and death records 1852-1953 can be accessed online. See How to Find Kentucky Birth Records and How to Find Kentucky Death Records for links to indexes and images.
Original marriage records are held at the office of the Carroll County, Kentucky Clerk, with divorce records 1849-1958 located with the Carroll County, Kentucky Circuit Court. For more information see How to Find Kentucky Marriage Records. For Kentucky divorce records see the wiki page Kentucky Vital Records.
- 1852-1859 - Carroll County Birth Index 1852-1859. Batch C517191 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875 - Carroll County Birth Index 1875. Batch C517192 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1852-1859 - Carroll County Marriage Index 1852-1859. Batch M517191 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875 - Carroll County Marriage Index 1875. Batch M517193 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1876-1878 - Carroll county Marriage Index 1876-1878. Batch M517194 at FamilySearch - free.
- The Kentucky Vital Records Project Transcriptions of and Images of KY Death Certificates - A Work in Progress ~ The KY Vital Records Project
- KY Births & Christenings ~ Kentucky Births and Christenings, 1839-1960 Family Search
- KY Deaths & Burials ~ KY Deaths & Burials 1843 - 1970
- KY Marriage Records ~ KY Marriages 1783 - 1979 ~ Family Search
- Searchable KY Vital Records ~ Searchable databases of KY Births, Deaths & Marriages
- Kentucky Marriage Records 1973 - 2000 ~ Kentucky Marriage Records - 1973 - 2000
- KY Divorces 1973 - 1993 ~ Kentucky Divorce Records 1973 - 1993 ~ University of Kentucky Vital Records Databases
- The Social Security Death Index The Social Security Death Index - Searchable
Carroll County Kentucky Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- Port William Historical Society
Highland Ave., US 42 W
Carrollton, KY 41008
- Carroll County Public Library
136 Court Street
Carrollton, KY 41008
Phone: (502) 732-7020
- Links and addresses to Kentucky genealogical and historical societies
Family History Centers
Carroll County Kentucky Genealogy Websites
- Carroll Co. KYGenWeb
- KYGenWeb project. Has maps, name indexes, history or other information for each county. Select the county.
- State of Kentucky Website
- USGenWeb Kentucky Archives ~ Kentucky in the USGenWeb Archives ~ Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Carroll County, Kentuckey Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
Carroll County Kentucky Genealogy References
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Carroll County, Kentucky page 269, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ "Carroll County, Kentucky," Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carroll_County,_Kentucky.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/f/f1/Igikentuckyaf.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 8 July 2013, at 00:00.
- This page has been accessed 6,204 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More