Carroll County, MissouriEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Carroll County, Missouri ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Carroll County, Missouri|
Location of Missouri in the U.S.
|Founded||January 2, 1833|
|Address|| Carroll County Courthouse|
Carrollton, MO 64633
Carroll County Website
County Clerk has birth records 1883-1895
and death records 1883-1890; Clerk Circuit Court
has divorce and court records from 1833
and naturalization records 1843-1919; Recorder
Deeds has marriage records, land records from 1833;
Probate Office has probate records
For animated maps illustrating Missouri county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Missouri County Boundary Maps" (1804-1889) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Missouri counties see: Missouri Counties with Burned Courthouses
Town/city records in the FamilySearch Catalog
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all Missouri Counties.
- Clay, Ray, Carroll, Chariton and Linn Counties, Missouri Index to Biographies at Ancestry.com ($)
- Portrait and biographical record of Clay, Ray, Carroll, Chariton, and Linn Counties, Missouri : containing biographical sketchePortrait and biographical record of Clay, Ray, Carroll, Chariton, and Linn Counties, Missouri : containing biographical sketche at Ancestry.com ($)
Callaway Burial Ground now called Hurricane Cemetery next to the Hurricane Baptist Church.
- Carroll County, Missouri, Cemetery Records, Vol. I, III-IV at Ancestry.com ($)
For tips on accessing Carroll County, Missouri census records online, see: Missouri Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Missouri denominations, view the Missouri Church Records wiki page.
St. Mary's, Carrollton
- 1869-1876 - St. Mary's, Carrollton, Baptism Index 1869-1876. Batch C511931 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1869-1885 - St. Mary's, Carrollton, Marriage Index 1869-1885. Batch M511931 at FamilySearch - free.
- Carroll County, Missouri Wills and Administrations, 1834-70 at Ancestry.com ($)
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Missouri Land and Property for information about records of land transfers from the government to private ownership. After that transfer, transactions were usually recorded and are currently housed at the county courthouse.
Local histories are available for Carroll County, Missouri. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section Missouri Local Histories.
- History of Carroll County, Missouri : ... including a history of its townships, cities, towns and villages ... biographical sketches of prominent men and citizens .... St. Louis : Missouri Historical, 1881.
- Online at FamilySearch (Free)
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Carroll County. The city of St. Louis is not included in this collection.
- Map of 1904 Carroll County with numerous small settlements (My Genealogy Hound)
- - 12th Regiment, Missouri Cavalry (Union), Company D
:- 12th Regiment, Missouri Cavalry (Union), Company G
:- 18th Regiment, Missouri Infantry (Union), Company F
:- 23rd Regiment, Missouri Infantry (Union), Company K
:- 5th Regiment, Missouri Cavalry - Confederate, Company I
:- 3rd Regiment, Missouri Cavalry - Confederate, Company A
:- 3rd Regiment, Missouri Cavalry - Confederate, Company A
:- 65th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Milita (Union), Company B
:- 65th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Milita (Union), Company C
:- 65th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Milita (Union), Company D
:- 6th Regiment, Missouri State Militia Cavalry (Union), Company L
:- 4th Provisional Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company E
:- 65th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Milita (Union), Company A
:- 65th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Milita (Union), Company E
:- 65th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Milita (Union), Company F
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Carroll County, Missouri newspapers in online catalogs like:
- The Archives of The Chillicothe Constitution Tribune (1889-2009) provides free access to their newspapers online. Their newspapers covered local news that included residents from Carroll County communities.
In Missouri, probate records have usually been recorded by the clerks of the probate courts, but in some counties the common pleas or circuit courts handled this function. They are frequently indexed.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Missouri Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths. For additional guidance on researching and using vital records, see United States Vital Records or How to order Missouri Vital Records.
St. Louis and Kansas City recorded births and deaths starting as early as 1850 for deaths and 1870 for births. The Missouri Department of Health began keeping birth and death records in 1909. County records vary by year and the county. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Missouri Vital Records State Department of Health, the County Clerk's office or order electronically online.
- 1870-1872 - Carroll County Birth Index 1870-1872. Batch C514731 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1883-1895 - Carroll County Birth Index 1883-1895. Batch C514735 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1833-1881 - Carroll County Marriage Books A thru C Index 1833-1881. Batch M514731 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1868-1882 - Carroll County Marriage Books C and D Index 1868-1882. Batch M514732 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1881-1885 - Carroll county Marriage Books 1 and 2 Index 1881-1885. Batch M514733 at FamilySearch - free.
- Carroll County, Missouri Marriages, 1833-56 at Ancestry.com ($)
- Marriage records of Carroll County, Missouri at Ancestry.com ($)
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
- 1883-1890 - Carroll County Death Index 1883-1890. Batch B514734 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1883-1895 - Carroll County Death Index 1883-1895. Batch B514738 at FamilySearch - free.
Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
Family History Centers
|Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.|
| Check back often with these websites. Internet offerings are growing at record rates.
Local societies and libraries may know of other websites.
|Missouri Digital Heritage||Free||digital images of many types of records from institutions across the State|
|MOGenWeb||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or complete transcriptions|
|USGenWeb Archives||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|RootsWeb resources||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|Linkpendium||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|CyndisList||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|StateofUS||Free||family history resources and government records|
Books, microfilm, or manuscripts of genealogical records
|FamilySearch catalog||Select topics. To select towns, add a comma to the search box.|
|WorldCat||To find nearby libraries that have specific items, see WorldCat Online Catalog.|
|Allen County Public Library||located in Indiana They are heavily involved in digitizing.|
|Missouri State Archives Library||catalog; from this page you must search "Carroll County"|
|GeneaBloggers||enter "missouri" in the search box to see a list and links to Missouri Blogs|
|Google+||Missouri Genealogy Network Community|
|list of groups from "Missouri Genealogy" search|
|genealogy.com||Carroll County, MO Genealogy Forum|
|ancestry.com||Carroll County Message Board|
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Carroll County, Missouri. Page 398 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ Charles Carroll of Carrollton, Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Carroll_of_Carrollton.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 4.7 4.8 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/5a/Igimissouria.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 3 December 2014, at 19:12.
- This page has been accessed 10,224 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page