Carson County, TexasEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Carson County Texas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
Carson County Courthouse
PO Box 487
Panhandle, TX 79068
County Clerk has birth and death records from 1903,
marriage records from 1888, divorce records from 1902,
probate records from 1907 and land records from 1883
First settled by Mexican farmers and ranchers in the early 1800's.
Local histories are available for Carson County, Texas. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Texas Local Histories.
1876--Carson County was created 21 August 1876 from Bexar Land District. County seat: Panhandle 
The county was named for Samuel P. Carson, congressman and Republic of Texas secretary of state. (1798-1838). Samuel Price Carson, planter and lawmaker, son of John and Mary (Moffitt) Carson, was born at Pleasant Gardens, North Carolina, on January 22, 1798.
Places / Localities
Towns and Cities: | Groom | Panhandle | Skellytown | White Deer |
Cemetery records often reveal birth, marriage, death, relationship, military, and religious information.
|Online Grave Transcripts||Published Grave Transcripts||County Cemetery Directories|
|Names in Stone|
|See Texas Cemeteries for more information.|
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death/burial date and place. For general information about Texas denominations, view the Texas Church Records wiki page.
After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions, including deeds and mortgages, have been recorded by the county. You can obtain copies of these land records by writing to the county clerk at the county courthouse. For more information, see Texas Land and Property.
The Family History Library Catalog lists microfilm copies of deeds, trust deeds, and mortgages of many counties.
- The Antler 1944 White Deer HS Yearbook - USGenWeb Archives Project
- The Lair 1938 Panhandle High School - USGenWeb Archives Project
- The Lair 1939 Panhandle High School - USGenWeb Archives Project
Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the Texas Genweb site
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Carson County, Texas newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Panhandle Herald
P. O. Box 429
Panhandle, TX 79068-0429
- Amarillo Daily News
- Amarillo Globe-Times
900 S. Harrison
Amarillo, TX 79166
- Amarillo Globe-News
- White Deer News
206 S. Main St.
P. O. Box 728
White Deer, TX 79097
Probate records of Texas have been kept by the probate clerk in each county courthouse. You can obtain copies of the records from the clerk's office. In most counties, all information pertaining to a probate case is recorded in the "probate minutes."
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their places of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records.
See the Wiki page Texas Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Texas tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Texas Taxation.
Texas County Tax Rolls, 1846-1910 lists FHL films with county tax lists. The lists vary by county and year. Most records are between the years of 1846 - 1910.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. United States Vital Records has additional research guidance on researching and using vital records. See Texas Vital Records for more information about Vital records in Texas.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Texas Vital Records State Department of Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred.
Online Birth Indexes and Records
- Carson County Births - USGenWeb Archives Project
Original Birth Records on Microfilm
Online Marriage Indexes and Records
- Carson County Marriages - USGenWeb Archives Project
Original Marriage Records on Microfilm
Online Death Indexes and Records
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964//www.familysearch.org/searchapi/search/collection/1375599 Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998] [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
Original Death Records on Microfilm
- Divorces - USGenWeb Archives Project
Societies and Libraries
- TEXAS GenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county.
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Carson County, Texas. Page 660 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- This page was last modified on 12 September 2013, at 20:39.
- This page has been accessed 3,293 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More