Carteret County, North Carolina GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Carteret County, North Carolina ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Carteret County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
Carteret County Courthouse
Cateret Count Courthouse Square
Beaufort, NC 28516
Register of Deeds has birth, marriage and death and land records
Clerk Superior Court has divorce, Probate and court records
For animated maps illustrating North Carolina county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation North Carolina County Boundary Maps" (1664-1965) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in North Carolina counties see: North Carolina Counties with Burned Courthouses
- Carteret County cemetery information - via NCGenWeb Archives
- Carteret County cemeteries - via Find-A-Grave.com
- Carteret County census records - via the NCGenWeb Archives
For tips on accessing Carteret County, North Carolina Genealogy census records online, see: North Carolina Census.
- Church records - via the NCGenWeb Archives
- Hadnor's Creek aka Hadnot's Creek. Constituted 1789.
- Newport River aka Newport and North River. Constituted 1778.
Church of England
- St. John's Parish. Established 1742. Vestry minutes begin 1742.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Harker's Island
- Court records - transcribed for the NCGenWeb Archives
- Several NC state business directories are available online. Visit this list of directories, open the directory, and navigate to Cartetert County. Directories include information on area businesses and citizens.
- Carteret County students at NC colleges – via the NCGenWeb Yearbook Index
- [Middleton] Brown, Leslie H. "John Middleton of Hampton, Va., and Onslow County, N.C.," The American Genealogist, Vol. 55, No. 3 (Jul. 1979):161-162. FHL 973 D25aga v. 55
- Deeds of Carteret County - via the NCGenWeb Archives
- Carteret County Maps - almost 100 maps from the North Carolina State Library
- Carteret County miltary records - check the "Military" section on the Carteret County NCGenWeb page
- Military records - transcribed for the NCGenWeb Archives
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War battle was fought in Carteret County.
- Map showing Civil War battles in North Carolina.
Civil War Confederate units
Brief history, counties where recruited, etc.
- -2nd Regiment, North Carolina Infantry
- - 1st Regiment, North Carolina Artillery 10th Regiment Volunteers-1st Artillery, Company G
:- 1st Regiment, North Carolina Artillery 10th Regiment Volunteers-1st Artillery, Company H
:- 2nd Regiment, North Carolina Artillery, Company G
:- 2nd Regiment, North Carolina Infantry, 1st Company C
- 1861 - 1865 North Carolina, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1861 - 1865 North Carolina, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- Carteret County newspapers - a listing of newspapers published in the county; via the Library of Congress
- North Carolina Newspaper Digitization Project - contains full-text papers from 1752-1890s. Search for your Carteret County ancestors.
- Carteret County News Times - current newspaper in the county
- Alphabetical Index of Wills 1681-1888 - via Carteret County NCGenWeb
- Carteret County wills & estates - transcribed for the NCGenWeb Archives
- Pre-1790 - Pre-1790 Carteret County, North Carolina Genealogy Wills stored at the North Carolina State Archives are online - free. Website tips.
- 1745-1957 - Will Books A to H (1745-1957) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
- Carteret County Tax Lists - via the NCGenWeb Archives
- North Carolina Births and Christenings, 1866-1964 - search this name index to birth, baptism and christening records from the state ; via FamilySearch
- 1800 - 2000 North Carolina Birth Index 1800-2000 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1866 - 1964 North Carolina Births and Christenings 1866-1964 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1804-1951 - Carteret County Marriage Index 1804-1951 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
- Carteret County Marriages - transcribed for the NCGenWeb Archives
- North Carolina Marriages, 1762-1979 - via FamilySearch; images included
- Carteret County marriages - are included in Carrie Broughton's 6-volume index of the Raleigh Register & State Gazette newspaper (1799-1893). Marriages are listed by year and PDF files are searcheable. Available on the North Carolina Digital Collections website.
- Carteret County Marriages 1771-1868. Available to members. North Carolina Pioneers
- North Carolina Marriages to 1799, a database, available to members North Carolina Pioneers
- 1741 - 2004 North Carolina Marriage Index 1741-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1759 - 1979North Carolina Marriages 1759-1979 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1762 - 1969North Carolina County Marriages 1762-1969 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- Carteret County Obituaries - transcribed for the NCGenWeb
- Carteret County deaths - list of county area deaths reported in various newspapers; dates range from late 1700s to 1900s.
- North Carolina Death Certificates, 1906-1930 - via FamilySearch; images included
- North Carolina Deaths & Burials, 1898-1994 - via FamilySearch
- 1898 - 1994North Carolina Deaths 1906-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1908 - 2004 North Carolina Death Indexes 1908-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1909-1975 North Carolina Death Certificates 1909-1975 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1931 - 1994North Carolina Deaths 1931-1994 at FamilySearch.org — index
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Centers for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Harkers Island North Carolina Family History Center
- Morehead City North Carolina Family History Center
- Carteret County NCGenWeb - free genealogy resources; part of the national USGenWeb Project.
- Carteret County, NC History, Records, Facts and Genealogy (Genealogy Inc)
- Grandpa was a Whaler - post by Mark Green about the Chadwick family
- FamilySearch Catalog
- North Carolina Pioneers North Carolina Pioneers
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Carteret County, North Carolina. Page 507 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Lemuel Burkitt and Jesse Read, A Concise History of the Kehukee Baptist Association: From Its Original Rise Down to 1808 (1808), Chapter 16. Digital version at St Paul's Seminary website; George Washington Paschal, History of North Carolina Baptists, 2 vols. (1930; reprint, Gallatin, Tenn.: Church History Research and Archives, 1990), 1:491-492, 2:561-562. FHL Book 975.6 K2p 1990.
- ↑ Robert J. Cain, ed., The Church of England in North Carolina: Documents, 1699-1741 (Raleigh, N.C.: Division of Archives and History, North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources, 1999), 432. FHL Book 975.6 K2cr.
- ↑ Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 8 August, 2012)
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/4/4d/Iginorthcarolinaa.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 13 April 2015, at 15:24.
- This page has been accessed 17,451 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More