Catfield, NorfolkEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Poor Law Union||Tunstead and Happing PLU|
|Parish registers: 1558|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1705|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
CATFIELD (All Saints), a parish, in the hundred of Happing, E. division of Norfolk, 3 miles (S. by E.) from Stalham. The Primitive Methodists have a place of worship. 
Catfield All Saints is an ancient parish in Waxham deanery of the Diocese of Norwich.
Catfield has an entry in the Domesday Book of 1085. In the great book Catfield is recorded by the names Cate(s)felda. The main landholders being Roger bigot and Count Alan.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Tunstead 1837-1869
- Smallburgh 1870-1938
- North Walsham 1939-1974
Catfield, Norfolk parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Catfield, Norfolk Online Records|
|FS PRs||Undefined||1558-1712, 1723-1899||Undefined||1558-1712, 1723-1901||Undefined||1558-1712, 1723-1902|
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 531/1-11
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438861.
Poor Law Unions
For Tunstead and Happing see http://www.institutions.org.uk/workhouses/england/norf/smallburgh_workhouse.htm
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Norfolk: Catfield on GenUKI
- Parish Info
- waterside group benefice
- British History online
- Mediaeval painting in the church The Stoning of St Stephen
- Literary Norfolk
- British Listed Buildings
- Catfield on Norfolk Churches website
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 531-534. Date accessed: 19 September 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 24 February 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 24 March 2014.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Norfolk, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 20 March 2014.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 11 February 2014.
- This page was last modified on 17 April 2014, at 03:22.
- This page has been accessed 5,046 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki