Cedar County, Iowa GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Cedar County, Iowa ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Cedar County, Iowa|
Location in the state of Iowa
Location of Iowa in the U.S.
|Founded||December 21, 1837|
|Address|| 400 Cedar Street|
Tipton, IA 52772
Cedar County Website
Cedar County Courthouse
400 Cedar Street
Tipton, IA 52772
HistoryFormed from sections of Dubuque County on December 21, 1837, Cedar County was named for the Red Cedar River which runs through the county. During the Great Depression, farmers rose in violent protest against state policy. The Cedar County War ensued in 1931.
For animated maps illustrating Iowa County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Iowa County Boundary Maps" (1816-1872) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Iowa Counties see: Iowa Counties with Burned Courthouses
Town/city records in the FamilySearch Catalog
- Gower Township
- Mechanicsville Township
- Springdale Township
- West Branch
Cedar County is divided into seventeen townships:
- FindAGrave for pictures and transcriptions of individual graves.
- Iowa Gravestone Project
- WPA Website
Iowa recorded not only the federal census but state census through out the years too. The state census contains very valuable genealogical information. Where the census information can be found, what years it was taken, mortality schedules, census substitutions and much more is discussed in the very informative Iowa Census article.
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Iowa Church Records.
- Records of the St. John's Lutheran Church, Cedar County, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
- Methodist Church. West Branch circuit Church Records  Contents
- Baptisms, 1860-1861, 1866-1878 -- marriages, 1866-1877 -- probationers -- alphabetical list of members. Also contains records for Zion Chapel, Brick Chapel, Zion Church, Brick Church, Morris Schoolhouse, McCormick in Cedar and Johnson Counties.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Iowa Land and Property for additional information about early Iowa land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Cedar County, Iowa Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Iowa Local Histories.
- Jackson, A. W. An historical sketch of Gower Township, Cedar County, Iowa. [S.l. : s.n.], 1901.
- Online at FamilySearch (Free)
- The History of Cedar County : with a history of Iowa. Chicago, Illinois : Historical Pub. Co., c1901.
- The History of Cedar County, Iowa : containing a history of the county, its cities, town, etc., a biographical directory of its citizens, war record of its volunteers in the late rebellion .... Chicago : Western Historical, 1878.
- Aurner, Clarence Ray. A topical history of Cedar County, Iowa. Chicago, Illinois : S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1910.
- Old Antique Atlases & Maps of Iowa
- Township Map of 1875 Cedar County, Iowa with enlarged views of each township (My Genealogy Hound)
- David Rumsey Map Collection is a large online collection of rare, old, antique historical atlases, globes, maps, charts plus other cartographic treasures.
Early migration routes to and from Cedar County, Iowa Genealogy for European settlers included:
Regiments. Service men in Cedar County, Iowa Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Cedar County, Iowa Genealogy:
- - 5th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company A
- - 11th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company E
- - 24th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Companies B, C and D
- - 46th Regiment, Iowa Infantry (100 days, 1864), Company I
- - 11th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company E
:- 24th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company B
:- 24th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company C
:- 24th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company D
:- 46th Regiment, Iowa Infantry (100 days, 1864), Company I
:- 5th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company A
- NewspaperArchive.com ($) has historical newspapers online including Cedar Rapids newspapers that may have included Cedar County residents. This database is free at some libraries.
In most counties in Iowa, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Iowa - Cedar - Probate records.
Iowa tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. Tax lists were usually made every year, however, there may be gaps of several years. For more information, see the wiki page Iowa Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Iowa Department of Public Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also How to order Iowa Vital Records or order electronically online..
Societies and Libraries
See also a List of Iowa Archives, Libraries, Publications, Historical & Genealogical Societies
- Cedar County Historical Society & Museum
1094 Hwy 38 PO Box 254
Tipton IA 52772
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Centers for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
| Check back often with these websites. Internet offerings are growing at record rates.
Local societies and libraries may know of other websites.
|State Historical Society of Iowa||Free||list and links to data and "hard copy" material - results of "cedar county" placed in search box|
|The Iowa Heritage Digital Collection||Free||digital images from a variety of Iowa cultural institutions - results of "cedar county" in the search box|
|State Library of Iowa||Free||electronic depository of documents intended for the general public produced by Iowa agencies - results of "cedar county" in the search box|
|IAGenWeb Project||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or complete transcriptions|
|USGenWeb Archives||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|  FamilySearch||Free||Births, 1880-1935; Deaths 1880-1992; Marriages, 1838-1934; all indexes|
|RootsWeb Resources||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|Linkpendium||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|CyndisList||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|StateofUS.com||Free||family history resources and government records|
Books, microfilm, or manuscripts of genealogical records
|FamilySearch Catalog||Select topics. To select towns, add a comma to the search box.|
|WorldCat||To find nearby libraries that have specific items, see WorldCat Online Catalog.|
|Allen County Public Library||located in Indiana They are heavily involved in digitizing.|
|GeneaBloggers||enter "Iowa" in search box to see list and links to Iowa blogs|
|Google+||list of groups from "iowa genealogy" search|
|list of groups from "Iowa Genealogy" search|
|genealogy.com||Cedar County, IA Genealogy Forum|
|ancestry.com||Cedar County Message Board|
Sources and Footnotes
- ↑ A Topical History of Cedar County, Iowa Google Books
- ↑ History of Cedar County, Iowa 1878
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Methodist Church. West Branch circuit FHL 986174 Item 1
- ↑ National Park Service, "Auto Tour Route Maps" in Mormon Pioneer National Historic Trail at http://www.nps.gov/mopi/planyourvisit/maps.htm (accessed 18 July 2011).
|This Iowa-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 6 February 2015, at 03:24.
- This page has been accessed 14,392 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More